• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maine child support / Foster care income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maine. I am a shared living provider. I support an adult individual with intellectual disabilities who lives with me. I receive a stipened pay that I use to support the person. This money is not considered income for IRS purposes. Can the court include this money towards my income for the child support calculation ?

Last edited:

Is the stipened pay I receive from the state to support the individual considered income ? Can they use this to calculate my income on the child support worksheet ?

LdiJ

Maine. I am a shared living provider. I support an adult individual with intellectual disabilities who lives with me. I receive a stipened pay that I use to support the person. This money is not considered income for IRS purposes. Can the court include this money towards my income for the child support calculation ?
That is just vague enough that I am unsure that you can get a valid answer here.

is the stipen pay ( adult foster care payment ) I receive excluded or included on the child support worksheet that is used for determining my income ?

quincy

is the stipen pay ( adult foster care payment ) I receive excluded or included on the child support worksheet that is used for determining my income ?
You could contact the Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Child and Family Services, to ask about exclusions from income when figuring child support payments.

https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/

It is my guess that the relatively small amount of money you receive as a subsidy to care for the disabled adult would be excluded from your income. But that is a guess.

LdiJ

You could contact the Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Child and Family Services, to ask about exclusions from income when figuring child support payments.

https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/

It is my guess that the relatively small amount of money you receive as a subsidy to care for the disabled adult would be excluded from your income. But that is a guess.
And when you contact them to ask the question, you might want to give a little more background on your situation rather than asking the question in a vaccumn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">