• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

major water prob

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joneq

What is the name of your state? NY. I have much the same prob as calvis does. My neighbors property is just a little higher than mine and near the property line the water is coming up out of the ground and flowing heavily onto my prorerty. the originan owner had a drainage system that was put in when the house was built around 1970. The water has been flowing continuously through the system ever since but has not really increased . My recent problem has been going on for maybe 6 months now, but I only became aware of the problems severity since it started to freeze and I can really see it. It has supersaturated my property so all the water coming over has nowhere to go. It is still flowing in myback yard even though it has been as low as 0 degrees here in NY.

The immediate danger is this. The water has worked its way out of my backyard and down my driveway 100 ft. It is flowing over my sidewalk and freezing. The ice is extremely slippery and on a small slant where it goes into the street and freezes there too. This is a nightmare. The neighbors seem uninterested in doing anything and have to us "don't worry about it". We need to know what to do. The easiest solution, and the right solution, would be to get the neighbors to stop it from coming over here in the first place rather than us having to get rid of their water. All replies are welcome and thanks for a great site.

P

Plumber2000

Do the neighbors own that property or are they renters?

joneq

They own it. By the way the water that is on the driveway/sidewalk is about 3 inches thick and getticking thicker every hour as new water flows over it and freezes. The water in the backyard is like a thick ice rink and very dangerous to walk on.

P

Plumber2000

Contact your public water department see what they have to say about it.

joneq

I will have to do that I guess, But around here the water pipes are in front of the house and the water is coming out of the back of the back yard. The house is on a corner of a main rd so I guess there could be a main leaking , but that would have to travel across his whole back yard and then pop up. I will take a trip to the water company tomorrow. Right now I can't stop his water from flowing and am very worried about liability for a problem the is generated from his property and he refuses to deal with. thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">