• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Make up time Legal Age

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Debs Confused

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Do I have to allow make up time if my ex's job wants him to work on his weekend? I don't feel that this is a good reason to forgo his weekend? Can my son speak directly with a judge when he turns 14 in March to decide if he wants to go to his dad's every other weekend? We do have an order in place at this time. My ex also told my son he cannot text me while he is in his dad's home. Is this true?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What is the name of your state? Indiana

Do I have to allow make up time if my ex's job wants him to work on his weekend? I don't feel that this is a good reason to forgo his weekend? Can my son speak directly with a judge when he turns 14 in March to decide if he wants to go to his dad's every other weekend? We do have an order in place at this time. My ex also told my son he cannot text me while he is in his dad's home. Is this true?
1) You don't have to allow make up time, if your order doesn't require you to. That said, it's a d*** good reason not to exercise visitation, if Dad wants to continue to be gainfully employed and keep his employer happy - and it certainly helps you if Dad pays child support. Be nice: let Dad have make up time.

2) Go for it. Put your kid in the middle. :rolleyes: I don't know your back story, but unless it's a doozy, you should NOT have your son involved/speaking directly to the judge.

3) Unless there is something in the court order requiring the son to be allowed contact with you during Dad's parenting time, then yes, Dad can set his own rules. Is it nice? Maybe not. Of course, you could go to court over this and ask for a modification, requiring that son be allowed to communicate with the other parent 1/day for a few minutes... Honestly, why does your teen need to text you while with Dad? Loosen the apron strings a little.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">