• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Making a civil lawsuit after a workers comp. case is closed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mauriciohv301

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? New york
I had a car accident at my jobsite,,( I used to work as valet mechanic attendant manager),4 and half yrs ago,and now I am receiving social security disability benefits, am I still on time,given that I am a disabled person, to file a lawsuit against the client that did the accident?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Being physically disabled does not toll (suspend) the statute of limitations (SOL) to sue. In NY the statute of limitations gives you 3 years from the date of the injury to sue in a personal injury action. Since you say it has been 4 and a half years since then, it would appear you are too late. You might want to consult a personal injury lawyer in your state to make sure that there aren't any circumstances in your situation that would toll the SOL and allow you to sue now. Most personal injury lawyers give free initial consultations.

You cannot sue your employer over this — the worker's comp is your exclusive remedy against the employer. But if some third party (like a customer) caused the injury, you may pursue that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">