• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Making a copy of my insurance papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mpb329

Michigan

Can a police officer make a copy of my insurance papers? Can I refuse to let him do that?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
By "insurance papers" do you mean the proof of insurance you are supposed to carry with you when you drive? If yes, then the officer may indeed make a copy of it if you are pulled over for a traffic violation.

quincy

Michigan

Can a police officer make a copy of my insurance papers? Can I refuse to let him do that?
Michigan police officers already have access to that information when they run your license plate. The only reason I can think of that an officer might want a copy of your insurance certificate is if it is different from the information the Secretary of State has.

quincy

It is common for a police officer to ask a driver for their driver’s license, registration and insurance certificate and then take these documents back to the police car for comparison to the information in the Secretary of State’s database.

I would think the officer would not copy anything unless there was some sort of a discrepancy between what the driver has and what the Secretary of State shows. If the driver recently renewed his insurance or changed insurers, for example, the database might not have been updated to show it.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I would think the officer would not copy anything unless there was some sort of a discrepancy between what the driver has and what the Secretary of State shows. If the driver recently renewed his insurance or changed insurers, for example, the database might not have been updated to show it.
Or copying it if the computer connection was down or there was some other computer problem.

mpb329

By "insurance papers" do you mean the proof of insurance you are supposed to carry with you when you drive? If yes, then the officer may indeed make a copy of it if you are pulled over for a traffic violation.
Yes. My proof of insurance that I carry with me when I drive. Would that be different if my neighbor called the police because she wants a copy of my proof of insurance? Long story why she wants it.

quincy

Yes. My proof of insurance that I carry with me when I drive. Would that be different if my neighbor called the police because she wants a copy of my proof of insurance? Long story why she wants it.
Why did the police officer stop you?

Why would your neighbor need your proof of car insurance? Were you in a car accident involving your neighbor?

mpb329

Michigan police officers already have access to that information when they run your license plate. The only reason I can think of that an officer might want a copy of your insurance certificate is if it is different from the information the Secretary of State has.
I did a little more research and found what you said about them having access to that information. I have a nosy neighbor that wants a copy of my proof of insurance and told me she was going to call the police and have them make a "car copy" of it for her. Long story.

So, since I don't think she has a right to that information I'm just trying to educate myself on the law.

quincy

I did a little more research and found what you said about them having access to that information. I have a nosy neighbor that wants a copy of my proof of insurance and told me she was going to call the police and have them make a "car copy" of it for her. Long story.

So, since I don't think she has a right to that information I'm just trying to educate myself on the law.
The police shouldn’t print off your insurance information just because a nosy neighbor wants a copy.

mpb329

Did this actually happen to you?
No but my nosy neighbor has asked me for a copy of my proof of insurance and I don't think she has a right to that information. Long story. She said she was going to call the police and get a "car copy" of it. Never heard of such a thing so I'm just trying to educate myself.

quincy

No but my nosy neighbor has asked me for a copy of my proof of insurance and I don't think she has a right to that information. Long story. She said she was going to call the police and get a "car copy" of it. Never heard of such a thing so I'm just trying to educate myself.
Did you damage your neighbor’s property with your vehicle? Is your neighbor suing you?

quincy

That's exactly what I think however, I like to know the law so I can be prepared in case she try's it.
How odd that your nosy neighbor might want your car insurance information.

The insurance certificate gives your insurance policy number, effective date of insurance, expiration date, the year and make and model of your vehicle, and your vehicle identification number (VIN).

I don’t see much there to interest even the nosiest of neighbors ... unless she wants the information for filing a claim against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">