• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

making contract legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wrmach

What is the name of your state? Maryland

There is a friend who owes me a substantial sum of money. This person has tried to pay me back but has failed. I don't trust this person to give me my money, so I asked if she would sign a paper stating she would pay me back, she said, "yes".

My question is... if I draw up this paper and she signs it, is it legally binding? Also, is there any particular steps I have to take to make it legal? Thank You:)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

wrmach said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

There is a friend who owes me a substantial sum of money. This person has tried to pay me back but has failed. I don't trust this person to give me my money, so I asked if she would sign a paper stating she would pay me back, she said, "yes".

My question is... if I draw up this paper and she signs it, is it legally binding? Also, is there any particular steps I have to take to make it legal? Thank You:)

My response:

Yes, it would be legal. Just make sure it's dated for the date of the loan, and not today's date.

Look on the Internet for the format for a Promissory Note.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">