• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Making My First CS Payment - Help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SilkyTP

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was officially divorced one week ago. My CS payments (and alimony) are going to be taken out of my paycheck on a regular basis. The order to my employer requiring the payment be made came too late to be included in that weeks payroll - that is to say, the very first payment was NOT taken out of my check.

I know that the state is the "overseer" of sorts to ensure that CS payments are made appropriately, in as much as the employer pays the state who in turn pays the evil troll that lives under the bridge (my ex - sorry). I understand it as they are the folks making sure you do what you're supposed to, and enforce the requirement.

I have the money to pay this first payment and am entirely willing to pay it, but I am concerned that if I pay my ex directly that I may not receive proper "credit" that it was paid, or even worse, that the state will somehow make me pay twice due to "accounting" issues.

So my question is, what is the best way to fulfill my obligation - do I pay the state (clerk of the court or whatever) or make the payment to the troll?

Thanks in advance,
TWhat is the name of your state?

TinkerBelleLuvr

So my question is, what is the best way to fulfill my obligation - do I pay the state (clerk of the court or whatever) or make the payment to the troll?
Pay the money to the CSE so that they KNOW that you've paid it. Otherwise, it would be up to your X to notify them that the monies have been received. No point in starting a pi**ing match at this time. If you aren't sure of the address, CALL the court house. They'll need your name, social security number and case number for it to be applied correctly.

Golfball

Pay the money to the CSE so that they KNOW that you've paid it. Otherwise, it would be up to your X to notify them that the monies have been received. No point in starting a pi**ing match at this time. If you aren't sure of the address, CALL the court house. They'll need your name, social security number and case number for it to be applied correctly.
Depending on the state/county, this incredibly useful information may be buried somewhere in the appropriate court orders/decree.

But the court will know where to send the funds, and should be able to tell you.

fedupinIL

Were you ordered to pay your support direct to your ex or to the Illinois State Disbursement Unit? If you were ordered to pay to the ISDU, then you can send your payment direct to them. If you were ordered to pay the ISDU, then you should've gotten a letter in the mail from them giving you a pin number so you can view your account online, etc. The link for them is http://www.ilsdu.com/Home.asp. You can also call them to make sure you are in the system, etc. There is a form that you have to send in with your payment that you can also get from their website. I believe it's called the Non-Custodial Parent Payment Form, or something like that. You will want to make sure you are in their system before you send any payments to them or they won't know where the payment is supposed to go.

Hope this helps!!

SilkyTP

Thanks for the heads up. I called the Clerk of the Circuit court. They told me that I simply had to put the case number on the check and send it in. I do not have the Notice of Withholding (I'm asking my jerk of an attorney for it now), but I did as directed by the Clerk, and then found the following form:

http://www.19thcircuitcourt.state.il.us/forms/family/divorce/order-uniformorderforsupport_080906.pdf

I verified the address and such and then I saw that I have to pay $36 per year to the clerk's office for administering the child support payments - which I did not do.

So I sent my check to them and they cashed it. I am assuming since there was a notice of withholding, and my employer will be taking the payments out of my check that the order is for payment to the ISDU. The only thing was this very first payment was not taken out of my check because of the timing of payday and the date of the notice.

Am I screwed?

fedupinIL

The Clerk of the Court will send you a bill every year for the $36.

You are not screwed. If you would've blown off making the payment simply because it wasn't taken out of your check, THEN you would've been screwed. But you made the payment so you are fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">