• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Malfunctioning gate damaged my car and I'm a tenant...Help Fast Please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state? TX

I need some help quickly...while entering the main gate to the apartment complex I notice that the right hand gate was not moving and was off track. The left hand gate opened fine (these are two iron sliding gates) While passing through the gate the left hand side slammed on my car resulting in scratches on my door. I had to drive slower than normal as I couldn't see around the corner and was driving the wrong way thanks to the gate. These is a common occurence here with the gates not functioning correctly but this is the first time this has occurred to me and anyone I know. I spoke to the apartment complex and they are saying, sorry I must not have used the gate correctly and that regardless they aren't responsible because of the sign thats states "Not responsible for damage to vehicles from gate" What is my recourse here? I don't want to file on my insurance, and I don't believe they can hide behind that sign. There is all sorts of complaints regarding the gates on apartmentratings.com with this particular complex.....help!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

What is the name of your state?
mark1210 said:
What is the name of your state? TX

I need some help quickly...while entering the main gate to the apartment complex I notice that the right hand gate was not moving and was off track. The left hand gate opened fine (these are two iron sliding gates) While passing through the gate the left hand side slammed on my car resulting in scratches on my door. I had to drive slower than normal as I couldn't see around the corner and was driving the wrong way thanks to the gate. These is a common occurence here with the gates not functioning correctly but this is the first time this has occurred to me and anyone I know. I spoke to the apartment complex and they are saying, sorry I must not have used the gate correctly and that regardless they aren't responsible because of the sign thats states "Not responsible for damage to vehicles from gate" What is my recourse here? I don't want to file on my insurance, and I don't believe they can hide behind that sign. There is all sorts of complaints regarding the gates on apartmentratings.com with this particular complex.....help!

Thanks!
I can't help but find this site funny.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">