• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Malpractice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I had rectal colon cancer, I was first treated at Pittsburg KS. They gave me almost twice the amount of radiation, and my family Dr told me they gave me the wrong chemo.
I have been struggling for 3 yrs with being able to walk and the use of my right hand and leg even my speech has been was effected. I've been in therapy for over a year. I have to have help with certain things. Still has lots of problems walking and staying balance.
I had my surgery at KU med center. Thet told me that my cancer type was misdiagnosed. But the treatment was the same.
What do you suggest? Im 63 and can no longer work because of it. I'm on disability but that is hardly enough to live on.
Thank you for your suggestions

Just Blue

I had rectal colon cancer, I was first treated at Pittsburg KS. They gave me almost twice the amount of radiation, and my family Dr told me they gave me the wrong chemo.
I have been struggling for 3 yrs with being able to walk and the use of my right hand and leg even my speech has been was effected. I've been in therapy for over a year. I have to have help with certain things. Still has lots of problems walking and staying balance.
I had my surgery at KU med center. Thet told me that my cancer type was misdiagnosed. But the treatment was the same.
What do you suggest? Im 63 and can no longer work because of it. I'm on disability but that is hardly enough to live on.
Thank you for your suggestions
When did the alleged malpractice occur...what year?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You would be wise to consult with an attorney. Unfortunately, the sources I have read on the internet say that the statute of limitations (the time limit to file a case in court) is two years from the date of discovery. You may have waited too long.

adjusterjack

Missouri had a two year statute of limitations on a lawsuit from the date medical malpractice but also two years from the date you discovered that there was malpractice.

If the malpractice occurred in another state there may be a different limit.

You might be beyond both, but it couldn't hurt to see an attorney ASAP and review your options.

Zigner

Missouri had a two year statute of limitations on a lawsuit from the date medical malpractice but also two years from the date you discovered that there was malpractice.

If the malpractice occurred in another state there may be a different limit.

You might be beyond both, but it couldn't hurt to see an attorney ASAP and review your options.
This occurred in KS, according to the OP in the subsequent post, but the SOL is the same.

Zigner

When did you discover the malpractice?
I would like an attorney to chime in on this, but it's my understanding that it's discovery of the act itself, not the realization that it was malpractice. That would put discovery at Nov-Dec of 2017.

After I had radiation and chemo I had surgery in May of 2018 and had to heal for 5 to 6 months. It was major surgery. But it was extremely difficult to walk and do thing the longer radiation continued. They kept telling me that was normal. My surgeon told me it shouldnt have lasted the way it has. They told me it would take some time to return to normal. Its been long enough to be normal again, my therapist said l may have a new normal.

Zigner

After I had radiation and chemo I had surgery in May of 2018 and had to heal for 5 to 6 months. It was major surgery. But it was extremely difficult to walk and do thing the longer radiation continued. They kept telling me that was normal. My surgeon told me it shouldnt have lasted the way it has. They told me it would take some time to return to normal. Its been long enough to be normal again, my therapist said l may have a new normal.
Were the treatments administered as prescribed? Were the prescribed dosages within guideline amounts?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">