• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Manager's Rewording

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

What is the name of your state? PA

I work for a well known, popular coporate restaurant for 6 yrs. I work as a dishwasher. For many years, incredibly and unbelievebly carelessly servers and bussers constantly toss silver and dishes.

This leads to 49% broken dishes and splashed water (containing soap chemicals) splash in hour faces 59% of the time.

I report this typically once week, (enough is enough) but the believes result is the servers bring in the money, not the kitchen staff so the problems are normally ignored.

However when I confronted a manager with "this is dangerous enviorment", he worded "no it's probably an uncomfortable enviorment". Is this what is called a loop hole or cop out.

Is there any counter statement or legal means.

Last edited:

moburkes

I'm not sure how soap chemicals are dangerous. You take baths with soap. You wash dishes with soap. If you are afraid of getting soap in your eyes, then wear safety goggles. If you are aftraid of getting soap on your face, then wear a mask. Or, find another job.

Ozark_Sophist

Ask to see the MSDS for the sanitation chemicals to see the level of protection required. Every substance has a MSDS (even water has a MSDS and it is hazardous -- exposure to too much will kill you) and your workplace is required to maintain a file containing every MSDS for every chemical ever used in your workplace. But I seriously doubt there is anything that strong (aside from oven cleaner). I used to work with acids and alkali that would and did eat glasses, gloves, and boots (factory food service production). ;) Some people liked to acid wash a bit too much.

Goggles and gloves would help protect from both sources of potential injury (chemical and china shards).

Beanie711

Completely agree with the other posters. Either wear safety glasses if you're concerned about your eyes, or look for another job where your opinion counts. Personally, I had a job where I worked around strong detergents (or soaps, if you will) for a few years and if I ever got irritated by the products, I either wore gloves, or wore goggles for my eyes. The fact that my body didn't agree with what was being used was not my employer's problem--it was mine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">