• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Managing ex-spouse contact.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrJoe

Tennessee.

Hey all, there are a lot of things going on but I just have one main interest and that is to find a way to get my ex to stop interjecting in my life. I'm not a right fighter, just need a pointer in the right way. She isn't a bad person, neither am I. She is even remarried with another child on the way. However, just recently, she reached out to friends and family via text and made inappropriate and unnecessary comments about me. Usually, I just ask that everyone refrain contact, however, two days ago, she sends a weird text to one of my friends, who is a girl, about concern for me and that people should be mindful of my depression and anxiety, stated several untrue things etc ect. I personally block her and do not respond. She has gone out of her way to reach into new friendships and not only disrespect my privacy, but share personal and protected information..Tells people I did things I never did? Obviously I can stop this by blocking and such, but its been two years and I can't stop her interactions with my new friends, relationships, and even co-workers. Its embarrassing as humans are naturally think and wonder. I'd just hate to, upon meeting every person, warn them that 'person x' may be reaching out. I feel like my medical issues with depression should be protected and not anyones business. After 2 years, just seeking a solution. Thanks.

zddoodah

she reached out to friends and family via text and made inappropriate and unnecessary comments about me.
Needless to say, both "inappropriate" and "unnecessary" are in the eye of the beholder, she's legally free to talk with whomever she wants about whatever she wants (unless she's defaming you in some way, but you provided no hints as to the content of the comments).

Usually, I just ask that everyone refrain contact
Your friends and family are free to choose to communicate or not with your ex.

just seeking a solution.
You haven't described a legal issue. I have to wonder, however, how it is that your ex is obtaining contact info for folks you have met since you and she divorced.

Just Blue

Tennessee.

Hey all, there are a lot of things going on but I just have one main interest and that is to find a way to get my ex to stop interjecting in my life. I'm not a right fighter, just need a pointer in the right way. She isn't a bad person, neither am I. She is even remarried with another child on the way. However, just recently, she reached out to friends and family via text and made inappropriate and unnecessary comments about me. Usually, I just ask that everyone refrain contact, however, two days ago, she sends a weird text to one of my friends, who is a girl, about concern for me and that people should be mindful of my depression and anxiety, stated several untrue things etc ect. I personally block her and do not respond. She has gone out of her way to reach into new friendships and not only disrespect my privacy, but share personal and protected information..Tells people I did things I never did? Obviously I can stop this by blocking and such, but its been two years and I can't stop her interactions with my new friends, relationships, and even co-workers. Its embarrassing as humans are naturally think and wonder. I'd just hate to, upon meeting every person, warn them that 'person x' may be reaching out. I feel like my medical issues with depression should be protected and not anyones business. After 2 years, just seeking a solution. Thanks.
When you share your medical /psychological issues with your ex, don't expect her to "protect" your privacy.

quincy

Tennessee.

Here is a link to general information on defamation laws and related “falsity-based” legal actions, published by the Digital Media Law Project:

http://www.dmlp.org/book/export/html/1813

I agree with Just Blue that the best way to protect your private information is to not share it with anyone. Once you disclose the information to someone (outside a privileged relationship), you have lost control over the information.

PayrollHRGuy

about concern for me and that people should be mindful of my depression and anxiety, stated several untrue things etc ect.
If you don't have depression and anxiety (those are both medical diagnoses) and the other "untrue things" she is telling people about you she may have reached the level of defamation. A nasty letter from a lawyer along with the previously mentioned restraining order might put a stop to it.

LdiJ

Tennessee.

How does she know who your new friends are? Do you live in a small town where everybody knows everybody's business? Are you heavily on social media where she can see everything that you post? Suggestions on how to stop her would be easier to make if we knew how she knows so much about your life and the people you hang with.

Some of the suggestions made above might end up being necessary but something simpler might work, depending on the how and why she knows enough about your life to intervene that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">