• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mandatory benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lilmac

If a company provides health insurance for its employees and the employee does not have to contribute anything towards the cost of the insurance, is this a mandatory benefit that the employee must participate in? If so, is this covered under ERISA?

ALawyer

I am baffled. What is the purpose of the question? Is it against your beliefs to take health insurance? Or do you think you should be entitled to get the money paid as premium instead? And no, health insurance is not required by law. Yet.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

L

Lilmac

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ALawyer:
I am baffled. What is the purpose of the question? Is it against your beliefs to take health insurance? Or do you think you should be entitled to get the money paid as premium instead? And no, health insurance is not required by law. Yet.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry for the confusion. I guess this is more of an ERISA question. If an employee does not contribute towards the cost of a benefit (i.e. health insurance) are they required under ERISA to take the benefit? It is my understanding that unless an employee pays something towards its cost, the employee must participate, whether or not they want or need the benefit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">