• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mandatory Overtime??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seriouslytired

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Utah.

I agreed with the call center company to work 58 hours per week for the first two weeks of January. I was told that it was MANDATORY. Ok.

My supervisor came up to me today while I was on a call in which I placed on hold and demanded the same schedule for next week. He stated that it was MANDATORY.

I am a single Mom, my little one and I are suffering. He needs his Mother and by the time I get off work I am seriously exhausted. I give him the basic necessities but I see a change in him. He needs stability and not a Mother completely exhausted.

Is this MANDATORY OVERTIME legal????

Signed Seriouslytired

Seriouslytired

More Information

I am still employed there. I plan on getting up at 4:00 am and doing it all over again tomorrow.

Issue. I DO NOT want to work 58 hours next week. I want to work my regular 40. Now the week after? I may be more willing. I just need a break. I suffer from PTSD. I just want one week of normal 40 hours.

Can a Company demand mandatory overtime??

Seriouslytired

Yes, it is as long as you get paid properly.
Ok, but can they fire me if I do NOT agree to work the MANDATORY overtime??

I'll be fine because no way in heck can I just sit in this house. I feel confident that I'll get another job right away. I have an impressive resume.

Can I get fired for not doing MANDATORY overtime??

justalayman

Seriouslytired;2728221]Ok, but can they fire me if I do NOT agree to work the MANDATORY overtime??
absolutely

I'll be fine because no way in heck can I just sit in this house. I feel confident that I'll get another job right away. I have an impressive resume
.then have at it

Can I get fired for not doing MANDATORY overtime??
again, yes.

Seriouslytired

Insanity*@!!

I would love a second opinion from someone familiar with Utah Labor Laws*@!! I have had the ability to review them, but nowhere did I see that I could be terminated for NOT working 58 hours every week.

Crazy.

Thank heaven for the Workforce number at my place of work. Oh and the fact that my Supervisor took tomorrow off. I did NOT sign the sheet ageeing to those hours. I did however sign on for 12 hours Monday & Tuesday.

I just want the rest of the week to be normal.

The week after? Well, I'll do Monday & Tuesday again, but....

Alright, who the heck needs a job in Utah? They have a HIGH TURNAROUND, if you know what I mean.

Seriouslytired

Oh well, I could always receive unemployment. I can see it now.

"Why were you fired?"

"Because I did not work the 18 hours MANDATORY overtime."

"This application for unemployment is granted."

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaa (deep breathe) ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaa

justalayman

Oh well, I could always receive unemployment. I can see it now.

"Why were you fired?"

"Because I did not work the 18 hours MANDATORY overtime."

"This application for unemployment is granted."

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaa (deep breathe) ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaa
guess again. Refusing to work your required schedule is justification for disqualifying you for unemployment.

Seriouslytired

I am not refusing to work my regular schedule. I did not refuse anything.

I did not sign up for this.

Ha haaa.

I know. Employee At Will.

I'll just fix that schedule issue while Boss has his day off for, what did he say?? Daddy, Daughter party day at school. Umm, it would be nice if he worked the same schedule as requested, having children and all.

Ha haa. Ok.

I'm fine with whatever happens.

I am unforgetable. : b

justalayman

Seriouslytired;2728243]I am not refusing to work my regular schedule. I did not refuse anything.
if the OT is mandatory, not working the mandatory OT is refusing to work your scheduled time.

I understand your furor; been there done that. The problem is; it's just the way it is. Your employer really does have a lot of control over you. Much more than most people ever realize.

and yes, of course; employment at will. They do not need a reason to fire a person.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Mandatory overtime is legal in all 50 states.

You can be fired for refusing mandatory overtime in all 50 states.

This is true not because there is a law giving the employer permission to make overtime mandatory, but because there is no law prohibiting him from doing so.

You are mistaken if you believe the UI office will find 18 hours of mandatory overtime to be excessive and automatically grant you benefits after refusing it. Many, many people regularly work 60 and 70 hour weeks.

Is there anything else you need to know?

Betty

The bottom line is mandatory OT is legal & you can be fired if you don't work it.

Whether you get UI benefits or not would be up to the state - it's not an
automatic you will get them.

pattytx

And if you think your "impressive resume" is going to result in you getting a another job right away, you have another "think again".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">