• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My son was arrested on December 31, 1999 in Texas for manufacturing of methamphetamine. He was held in a county jail for six months with no formal charges ever filed against him. He was transferred to another county facility to serve time for another unrelated offense and was released in September, 2000. Today he received a call from the county where he was arrested for manufacturing informing him that he is now going to be "prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law" and is scheduled to appear in court in June. When he was incarcerated there for the 6 months, he was represented by a court appointed attorney who is no longer practicing in that county. He was informed today that since he is no longer in jail, he no longer has the right to a court appointed attorney and they show no record of him even having one at the time. How can they do this? It was my understanding that there is an obligation to indict within 6-12 months after arrest - am I wrong? Any lawyers out there willing to handle this mess for free?


Senior Member
Formal charges must be filed within 72 hours. Do you work at your job for free? Then why would you expect an attorney to work for free?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential