• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Many MEDICAL/LEGAL ISSUES- Going crazy!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mkbinc

I am a 30yr. old, single mother of 3, living in Idaho. I have been SEVERELY WRONGED by medical professionals, not once but twice! I will try to keep this post as short as possible, tho i find when i try, i leave out important details needed to give an opinion and spend much precious time/energy to supply this?

My story starts the summer of '97 when i began to have strange pelvic pain- i first saw an ortho who ran many tests, found nothing and thought it might be enomedtriosis or an entraped nerve and refered me to a neuro. He agreed with the ortho as to the possibilities. Because of the area and that he did not do injections (cortesteriod) sent me to my regular gyno/surgeon. When told of both doctors suspicions he said, "You do not have endometriosis!" and proceded with the injection. Many months and many treatments later, i gave up. I lost my insurance and was frustrated because no dx could be reached.

(this may be confusing, as these 2 cases actually DO have something to do with the other)I began to have mid-upper back and neck pain with n/t at night, of unknown origin in Jan of '98, for which i consulted a chiropractor who would take payments, as i did not have insurance. I was treated with manipulations, bedrest and ice and was advised that my job was too physical to continue or any treatment would be pointless- as a 'leave of absence' was not an option, i had to leave my job of two years. My condition never really improved, i dealt with it best i could, which included some use of alcohol as a pain killer.

When i became eligible for Medicaid, my first stop was to my gyno, for a 'check up' and some concerns about sudden weight gain and hair loss. My doctor was alarmed and scheduled a lap- dx ENDOMETRIOSIS and immediate need for a total hysterectomy at the age of 29!! I had this surgery on 6/8/99. While in the hospital i received demerol IM for pain. A superficial nerve was hit causing n/t in both 'hips'. I saw the same neuro, who told me it would resolve itself within a year and asked if i had any other problems. I told him of the problems for which i was treated by the chiropractor. He did a few abduction maneuvers and dx me with bi-lateral thoracic outlet syndrome and rx some basic x-rays to look for an extra rib (which i did not have)and 3 PT appointments. I complied but never got any relief.

I awoke one day with 3 blue fingers w/no cause- i called the neuro who said that it was now a vascular issue and to see a vascular surgeon with whom he had made an appt. for me the same day! The surgeon said that "all other measures of treatment had been exhausted" and this was a potentially serious condition, for which i needed (and was strongly encouraged!) to have a first rib resection and scalenectomy. Once again, i thought my doctors were certain of their dx and had my best interests at heart-HA! And i agreed and was admitted on 9/9/99 for this VERY INVASIVE AND PAINFUL procedure.

I have never recovered and have gotten MUCH worse post-op. I have been to countless doctors and been thru nermerous painful therapies! All of which i COMPLIED WITH.

I bought a home pc this spring and began to educate myself and try to figure out what the problem was- no doctor was apparently 'staying up nights' worrying about these things as i did! To this date i have had MINIMAL testing done and absolutely NO tests were done PRE-OP! NO EMG, NO MRI, NO BONE SCAN- NOTHING!

It has now been determined that i do not have TOS! No evidence to suggest that i ever did have? I believe that this is one big conspiracy theory! All these doctors know how bad the neuro and surgeon screwed up and are covering their butts against any legal action that i may bring. Not the least bit of concern is given to the injured patient who's condition is greatly deteriorating! I now have a 'tenative'dx of RSD in my arm where the rib was taken (tho, test results from a SGB PROVES the dx of RSD!)- but my doctor says, "your surgery DID NOT cause this"- yeah right!

The more educated i become, the more HOSTILE my doctor gets! I know he is dying to 'pass me off', as all the other's have done, but he's as stuck with me as i am with him, because there's nowhere else to 'pass' me! So, i get only the MINIMAL amount of respect and decent treatment by his entire staff!

I have talked to several attorneys who declline to take my case but to, "aggresively seek other counsel...don't let your statute of limitations run out...etc..." I have done much research on this, in legal as well as medical areas and am conviced that i have an IRON-CLAD case here! But i don't understand why i am having so much trouble hiring an attorney, as my loss of potential earnings is quite high- that is the 'clincher' for most attorney's is it not??

I have been terribly wronged and misdiagnosed, not once but twice!! I just can't sit still for this- I will get retribution if it's the last thing i do!! Even if i have to file and try this on my own! I believe any reasonable judge could read my records and determine for themselves the damages? (i know it doesn't usually work this way, but i have heard of this) I have lost my 'womanhood' due to an arrogant and carless doctor and now i have lost other body parts and am unnecessarily scarred for life(the incision for the TOS could've been made under my arm, which i requested. instead, i have a huge scar across my neck!) For NO reason, because i do not and did not have the disorder for which it was taken!! Whew, what a mouthful hu?? :eek:)

Can anyone offer advise on either or both of these situations?? I was told my statute ran out on the endo. deal, but i'm thinking now, maybe not? I am not 'money hungary', tho i am indigent. I am scared to death!! of this happening to myself, someone i love, or anyone!! How many people does this have to happen to, before doctors are held responsible for their careless actions? Who are the 'money hungary' people here, really?

Thanks,

Debbi Hoak

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Well, it is not only a money issue but strictly and plainly and simply this: to determine whether one or all doctors are liable: this is the process you will have to prove:

1) doctor owed you a duty -- obvious
2) doctor breached his duty either by lack of informed consent or misdiagnosis or negligent treatment or surgery.
3) #2 caused your injuries you have now
4)you have damages you can prove.

Seek a MEdical Malpractice Attorney by calling your STATE BAR ASSOCIATION And ask for the lawyer referral program. If they don't help you, it may sound unorthodox, but ask the STATE BAR for the nearest "ABA Approved law school" call them and ask to seek with a professor of law who teaches this type of law.

Hope this helps.

M

mkbinc

I don't understand? Are you saying that it sounds as tho, i do have a case and it is a matter of deciding WHO to sue? In which case- do i still have time to sue for the misdiagnoses of the endometriosis? What might the law professor tell me- what sort of help am i to ask him for- advise, representation...what??

Thank you for your response, please clarify? Debbi <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lawrat:
I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Well, it is not only a money issue but strictly and plainly and simply this: to determine whether one or all doctors are liable: this is the process you will have to prove:

1) doctor owed you a duty -- obvious
2) doctor breached his duty either by lack of informed consent or misdiagnosis or negligent treatment or surgery.
3) #2 caused your injuries you have now
4)you have damages you can prove.

Seek a MEdical Malpractice Attorney by calling your STATE BAR ASSOCIATION And ask for the lawyer referral program. If they don't help you, it may sound unorthodox, but ask the STATE BAR for the nearest "ABA Approved law school" call them and ask to seek with a professor of law who teaches this type of law.

Hope this helps.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

L

lawrat

What I am saying is it is way too complicated to be settled here. YOU NEED TO TALK TO A PERSONAL INJURY MEDICAL MALPRACTICE ATTORNEY who can determine if those 4 steps were met and WHETHER the statute of limitations has ran on your case.

GO MONDAY ASAP!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">