• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Many relatives owning a cottage, deed question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buckrogers

What is the name of your state? PA
Long story, try to make it short. Have a family cottage, once owned by grandfather. On his passing, willed to his 3 children - my mother, uncle and aunt.
Aunt passed, she willed her 1/3 to my uncle. My uncle then gave his 1/3 and the aunt's 1/3 to his son, my first cousin. So 1/3 owned by mom, 2/3 by 1st cousin.
Then my mom passed, she willed her 1/3 to me and my two sisters. So now there are 4 owners.
Me and my sister want to give our shares to my other sister. So, then they'd be just 2 owners. Her and my first cousin.
Question is... will they both be equal owners, or will it be 1/3 and 2/3?
Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? PA
Long story, try to make it short. Have a family cottage, once owned by grandfather. On his passing, willed to his 3 children - my mother, uncle and aunt.
Aunt passed, she willed her 1/3 to my uncle. My uncle then gave his 1/3 and the aunt's 1/3 to his son, my first cousin. So 1/3 owned by mom, 2/3 by 1st cousin.
Then my mom passed, she willed her 1/3 to me and my two sisters. So now there are 4 owners.
Me and my sister want to give our shares to my other sister. So, then they'd be just 2 owners. Her and my first cousin.
Question is... will they both be equal owners, or will it be 1/3 and 2/3?
Thanks.
Your cousin owns 2/3 and you (collectively) own 1/3. That won't change - your cousin will still own 2/3.

EDIT: Your uncle didn't give your aunt's 1/3 share to his son. Your uncle gave his own 2/3 share to his son. It's a minor distinction, but the fact is that your uncle owned 2/3 and that's what he gifted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">