• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana conviction expunged? - take #2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Liudas

Unfortunately, my first post concerning this query got hijacked and led to lots of off-topic nonsense replies. Let me try it again. Thank you.

State: Ohio

In 1972 in an Ohio city, I was convicted of a misdemeanor "possession of hallucinogens" charge. (I possessed marijuana)

I want to know if I can get this conviction expunged, because I want to buy a firearm.

Can I get the conviction expunged? (I'm an old man now)

But, let me add more pertinent information:

In 1995 I legally purchased some firearms in Ohio. The Brady Bill had already gone into effect, and when I purchased those guns I had to go through a 3 day waiting period to get a background check on me. All went well with the check, and I received the firearms.

Now in 2007, I needed some extra cash, so I pawned my guns at a reputable Ohio pawn shop. A month later when I went to retrieve the firearms, the pawn shop told me there was a block on me, and they could not give me back my guns. They told me to contact the FBI for the details.

I contacted the FBI, and they ultimately explained to me that anyone who has been convicted of any kind of drug charge at any time could never legally possess a firearm for life. I explained to them that in 1995 I had a background check, and it was okay for me to buy the guns. Why were things different now in 2007? (maybe after 9/11, background checks dug deeper ???)

Now in 2019, marijuana laws have become so relaxed in the U.S., that several states legally sell marijuana, and several others allow it to be legally purchased for medical use.

So, I am just posting this query to see if I can get the conviction expunged, sealed, or whatever, so I can again legally purchase a firearm.

All informative replies are welcome.

Thank you very much

quincy

Unfortunately, my first post concerning this query got hijacked and led to lots of off-topic nonsense replies. Let me try it again. Thank you.

State: Ohio

In 1972 in an Ohio city, I was convicted of a misdemeanor "possession of hallucinogens" charge. (I possessed marijuana)

I want to know if I can get this conviction expunged, because I want to buy a firearm.

Can I get the conviction expunged? (I'm an old man now)

But, let me add more pertinent information:

In 1995 I legally purchased some firearms in Ohio. The Brady Bill had already gone into effect, and when I purchased those guns I had to go through a 3 day waiting period to get a background check on me. All went well with the check, and I received the firearms.

Now in 2007, I needed some extra cash, so I pawned my guns at a reputable Ohio pawn shop. A month later when I went to retrieve the firearms, the pawn shop told me there was a block on me, and they could not give me back my guns. They told me to contact the FBI for the details.

I contacted the FBI, and they ultimately explained to me that anyone who has been convicted of any kind of drug charge at any time could never legally possess a firearm for life. I explained to them that in 1995 I had a background check, and it was okay for me to buy the guns. Why were things different now in 2007? (maybe after 9/11, background checks dug deeper ???)

Now in 2019, marijuana laws have become so relaxed in the U.S., that several states legally sell marijuana, and several others allow it to be legally purchased for medical use.

So, I am just posting this query to see if I can get the conviction expunged, sealed, or whatever, so I can again legally purchase a firearm.

All informative replies are welcome.

Thank you very much
I provided you with links to information on sealing criminal records. What I posted tells you if you are eligible in Ohio to own a firearm and how to seal your records.

You can speak to an attorney in Ohio if what was previously posted confuses you.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

I contacted the FBI, and they ultimately explained to me that anyone who has been convicted of any kind of drug charge at any time could never legally possess a firearm for life.
That is incorrect information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">