• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marina and City vessel lien sale negotiation.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bayland510

What is the name of your state? California
I have a small sailboat berthed at the Berkeley Marina. Money was tight in 2018, and I missed a few scattered months of payments. My marina gate key was turned off and my boat was chained up. I managed to work out a deal with the city manager with a payment just over 2/3 of what I owed them. They unchained my boat, and turned my electronic key access back on. I got current with my payments. In the early spring of 2019, the rug was pulled out from under my feet with a separate issue concerning my child and her mother. I fell into serious depression and everything in my life went unattended fa few months. I came to in June got some work, and called the customer service office to make a 900 dollar payment. I requested the same arrangement, stating that I have no business owning a boat at this time, that I wanted to gain access to fix the cosmetic details, and get her ready to sell. They informed me I'd have to speak with the marina, so then I requested to be patched through to the waterfront supervisor or Harbormaster, which they did.

I left a detailed message explaining my intentions, and noted I paid 900 towards a 1850 dollar balance. I received no reply. One week later, I paid an additional 290 and asked to be transferred again. A few days later I emailed the city managers office and explained I hadn't been able to get in touch with the marina. They provided me with the email address I should use to reach the managing personel there and so I then wrote two detailed emails within not quite 3 weeks. No reply. I called the Marina during business hours. No answer, which is not typical down there.. I then emailed the city manager again and they said that there was no one in that position at the marina currently. No one to answer the emais I sent to the email address they provided me. They said I had to go down there during business hours. A month had passed and more fees stacked up, before I am informed of this, and still no reply from the marina.

Guess what i do during business hours. That's right, and I am a single coparenting father who shares custody of my daughter with a hostile mother who considers me target practice when there isn't anything real to be angry at. Point is, I don't have availability to leave work to go to the marina on the chance that someone who can help, is there and available. 2 months later I get a notice of lien sale. Its now 5 months following that notice, and there is finally an acting waterfront supervisor. He isn't up for helping me. I explained what happened, and it doesn't click for me. What I want the city to understand is that I tried to address this with 1190 and requests for access to repair to sell to pay them balance owed. As is, the boat will not sell for what I owe them. They will end up trying to collect the debt from me, and when dont pay, theyll sell that debt for pennies on the dollar. What I want is to pay them close to 2500 now, they can keep the lien in place but stay the sale, an allow me 3 months of paying slip usage to restore and sell the boat, which will benefit them compared to the alternative which is collect probably the minimum of 500 as a starting bid, IF someone wants to even bid on it. In pristine condition, the market value is 5500 dollars. I think I can get it to just under 4k. I owe 3700 with all the late penalties, which would have been avoided if they had been available to work with a leaseholder.

What approach should I take with the city? They didn't perform their duty, just as I didn't honor my lease agreement. Their availability to assist slipholders is as much of their agreement as paying my monthlyslip fee is for myself. Both parties messed up, and I think its no unreasonable to let me try to restore to sell, ACTUALLY pay them money I owe them, and walk away with a little dignity restored. Is this pipe dreams or does it not sound like a reasonable request?

Thanks for reading through the chapter above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">