• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marina Liable for Boat Repairs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mmking

We live in Northeastern Pennsylvania. I have a liability and/or gross negligence question. According to our marina, our 24’ sailboat sank in its slip last week on Thanksgiving Day “due to high winds.” The boat was to have been taken out of the lake last month but the staff was behind schedule. We received a number of messages over the holiday weekend which we picked up Sunday night. The first call came in Friday at 3:15 PM. The boat, wild guess estimate of value is anywhere from $5 – 10k, is completely submerged today. I was given 3 digital photo prints showing the boat sinking – I’m assuming having been taken Friday – jib and boom visible; then only boom visible. According to the maintenance dept., 12 boats were removed Friday and three remained in their slips, none of which had any damage from high winds. I think the marina staff swamped the boat when they were removing the other boats. The boat sank Friday and they photographed it going down. The marina has put in a work order for four divers (note temp is 25 degrees F here) to put balloons under the boat and raise it six inches at a time so as to not roll it, pump it out and tow it in. Estimated man hours to raise it is minimum 20 hours. Damage to the boat, cabin contents and engine to be assessed. I have only liability insurance on the boat. The marina off-handedly told me their insurance isn’t paying for the work. Opinions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">