• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marine survey

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jay1956

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

In July of 2012, I hired a marine surveyor to survey a motor yacht for purchase. I believe the surveyor may have been negligent. Can I still sue him for damages or is it too late? How much time do I have to sue him. More than five years have passed since the survey.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

In July of 2012, I hired a marine surveyor to survey a motor yacht for purchase. I believe the surveyor may have been negligent. Can I still sue him for damages or is it too late? How much time do I have to sue him. More than five years have passed since the survey.
Why after all this time do you believe the marine surveyor was negligent?

quincy

Although this thread was revived unnecessarily by Candicekan, seeing as how the original poster has not returned to the forum since October of last year to answer the question asked of him, the statute of limitations in Tennessee for contract disputes is 6 years for both oral and written contracts. Jay has little time left to pursue an action against the surveyor before his suit would be time-barred.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
the OP's contract with the surveyor likely limits greatly what can be sued for.

Last edited by a moderator:

justalayman

the OP's contract with the surveyor likely limits greatly what can be sued for.
For errors, possibly. If negligence is involved it may raise the matter beyond the the limitations within the contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

PayrollHRGuy

None of this matters a bit and we aren't likely to receive any further information from the OP. He asked the question in October was asked a question and never answered.

quincy

Ok. Will you? Please?

There’s a Banana Stand Hefe on the line.
Ah. Incentive! :)

Property tort actions have a 3 year statute of limitation in Tennessee and personal injury claims must be filed within a year. Contract claims have a 6 year (rarely but potentially up to a 10 year) statute of limitation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">