• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage and Medical Assistance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

makeugohmmm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

So, I got married this year.

I have two kids from a previous relationship. Because of my income and the fact that my employer doesn't offer cost effective insurance for them (ie doesn't pay any portion of the premium, high deductible plan) the kids are covered by medical assistance. Now I'm up for renewal. I'm reporting my changes that I'm married and my household size has changed.

But I'm getting conflicting information on if the new step dad is part of my kid's household. Some say no because he has no financial requirement towards them so my kid's household for determining coverage remains the same, but it seems to vary by state and I cannot find anything on Minnesota.

I've called the county and the MNsure office, but both always have "higher then normal call volume. try later." I can't even leave a message! Deadline is coming up and I want to do this the right way! Can anyone help?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

So, I got married this year.

I have two kids from a previous relationship. Because of my income and the fact that my employer doesn't offer cost effective insurance for them (ie doesn't pay any portion of the premium, high deductible plan) the kids are covered by medical assistance. Now I'm up for renewal. I'm reporting my changes that I'm married and my household size has changed.

But I'm getting conflicting information on if the new step dad is part of my kid's household. Some say no because he has no financial requirement towards them so my kid's household for determining coverage remains the same, but it seems to vary by state and I cannot find anything on Minnesota.

I've called the county and the MNsure office, but both always have "higher then normal call volume. try later." I can't even leave a message! Deadline is coming up and I want to do this the right way! Can anyone help?
http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/groups/publications/documents/pub/dhs16_194395.pdf

That bulletin should answer your question - it's even got a flow chart.

makeugohmmm

Thank you for the reply

That's what I found also, but the flowchart is confusing me.

So take one of my kids. Does the person expect to file a tax return? No

Does the per expect to be claimed? Yes

So her household includes the person, the tax payer(s) who expect to claim the person, and all the other dependants that are claimed.

So does that mean that if we are married filing joint then because she's claimed on "our" taxes his income counts and he's in her household? So does that mean her new household also includes his kids if they're filed on taxes?

I mean, does it really all come down to how we're going to file taxes this year? So, if we do married filing separately then he wouldn't be in her household?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's what I found also, but the flowchart is confusing me.

So take one of my kids. Does the person expect to file a tax return? No

Does the per expect to be claimed? Yes

So her household includes the person, the tax payer(s) who expect to claim the person, and all the other dependants that are claimed.

So does that mean that if we are married filing joint then because she's claimed on "our" taxes his income counts and he's in her household? So does that mean her new household also includes his kids if they're filed on taxes?

I mean, does it really all come down to how we're going to file taxes this year? So, if we do married filing separately then he wouldn't be in her household?
That is how it sounds to me. You may want to wait until you can actually reach someone at the state to confirm.

ETA: Changing your filing status to married filing separately may end up costing you more in the long run. Speak to a tax pro. Also, can your new husband simply add you and the kids to his health insurance?

makeugohmmm

Thank you!

I will keep trying to call the county. Might be worth a trip down there. My kids both need treatment monthly for a medical condition and between paying the high deductible and the increase in payments, plus the amount that my student loans will go up on thinking it would be worth amy tax hit. Both my husband and I make mid 30,000 per year so it's not like we're rich. Plus neither of our insurances have dental coverage. Getting married might have been a bad idea. Hindsight I guess...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">