• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marriage contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Osvald_Ptr

California
need advice
My wife and I have been married for over 5 years. We want to draw up a marriage contract. Can we do it now? When will it take effect?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
California
need advice
My wife and I have been married for over 5 years. We want to draw up a marriage contract. Can we do it now? When will it take effect?
There are all kinds of contracts a husband and wife might enter into. The details of what is that you want to do matter, and we don't have those details here. You might want to consult a family law attorney in your state for assistance. Some agreements may require very specific things to be enforceable, for example.

Litigator22

California
need advice
You already have a marriage contract!

It took effect the moment the marriage vows were taken. (That is, unless you had your fingers crossed.) And in case you don't know, it expires on death or by court decree.

Now if its your mutual desire to enter into formal arrangements respecting the treatment of assets, yours or hers, current or future, such as a post-nuptial agreement then consult with your respective attorneys. Noting that I use the plural attorneys advisedly. The reason being that one lawyer cannot or should not represent the two of you in such affairs..

Not only would it be highly unethical on the part of the lawyer playing both ends, but also it would render dubious of enforcement any agreements/commitments made on behalf of the wife without her having the benefit of independent legal counsel. (Same as with a pre-nuptial agreement.) You could get by with one attorney as long as he or she was solely representing your wife and you were to acknowledge that fact in writing.

If these are your wishes, then please understand that it is not a do-it-yourself endeavor nor something that will charitably emerge via your laptop.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Additionally, I don't think such a postnup can address custody or child support. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

Litigator22

Additionally, I don't think such a postnup can address custody or child support. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.
Do you have a suggesting as to how a couple could predict the multitude of varying and changing circumstances affecting those issues?

Redemptionman1

Sheldon Cooper has a contract for everything in his life,

I am not sure what you would want to accomplish with this, one spouse making more money than the other? Lots of issues of why you would want to do this; however, in several states after 7 years marriage contracts are not worth anything. Like has been said a family lawyer could better assist. Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">