• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage Licence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

defulio

What is the name of your state? FL

Hi Lana. My US fiance and I are getting married in March. I am currently here on an F1 visa in the middle of my OPT. I know which papers I have to file to apply for permanent residence after the wedding but I had imagined we could send that paperwork off on the Monday following the wedding. I recently discovered that it can take up to a month for the marriage licence to be sent to us. Do we have to wait for the marriage licence before we send of the paperwork for change of status etc. or will we have the information we need following the ceremony?

Thanks again for your help.

Kirsty

ImmigAttyLana

You will need the marriage certificate, not the marriage license, to send off to USCIS. You should have that before you file the permanent residence application.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I may be of further assistance to you in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">