• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

texasmom03

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?TX
My son (26, US citizen, and a single father of 2) has fallen, head over heals for a lovely young lady he met recently, visiting her from France. She is here on a vistor visa which expires the end of Sept. :eek: He can't stand the thought of her leaving and it seems that she is having the same second thoughts as well. He WANTS to marry her!! I think he would do anything he could to keep her in his (& his daughters) life. For them to seek a private attorney for help would be nearly impossible - they are both struggling just to make ends meet!!! She has been looking for her stolen luggage (including her passport, bus ticket, airline ticket) for over 2 months now. She is a treasure...I would love to have her as a daughter in law. I turn to those here who may have a bit of advice for ME....Guess the question this MOM has is what is the best LEGAL direction to give them? Can they even GET a marriage license? I usually can give pretty good advice to my kids but this one is a doosie! We live in a VERY small RURAL community, any offices that would be able to assist us are more than 50 miles away!

millie3

A little help from my own experience

Hi, I'm from NewYork. In my situation, my husband lost his visa and passport as well and he apply and got another password. But my advise here is that went we went to get marry , it was almost imposible because my husband didn't have NY driver's licensed/ S.S. Card and other requirements for us to get marry. What I did was i went into the internet and did a research on " Marriage Licensed Requirements in "ALL OF THE STATES IN UNITED STATES". Get a print out of it and check what documents the States near you ask for. We rent a car and I drove to Attleboro, MA. 4 hrs. away from new york. and all they ask for for for a International drivers license. My husband international drivers licensed had expired and i went in the internet and type " iNTERNATIONAL DRIVERS LICENSED" and I filled out the form over the internet, print out the application , had my husband sign it and mail the form with a $35.00 money order. In less than a week we had the International dl licensed and we drove to MA and got marry. We only pay $ 75.00 and $25.00 for something else ( i think) i know i wasn't more that $125.00 for everything. The car rental cost us more than the wedding. Good Luck.
My son (26, US citizen, and a single father of 2) has fallen, head over heals for a lovely young lady he met recently, visiting her from France. She is here on a vistor visa which expires the end of Sept. :eek: He can't stand the thought of her leaving and it seems that she is having the same second thoughts as well. He WANTS to marry her!! I think he would do anything he could to keep her in his (& his daughters) life. For them to seek a private attorney for help would be nearly impossible - they are both struggling just to make ends meet!!! She has been looking for her stolen luggage (including her passport, bus ticket, airline ticket) for over 2 months now. She is a treasure...I would love to have her as a daughter in law. I turn to those here who may have a bit of advice for ME....Guess the question this MOM has is what is the best LEGAL direction to give them? Can they even GET a marriage license? I usually can give pretty good advice to my kids but this one is a doosie! We live in a VERY small RURAL community, any offices that would be able to assist us are more than 50 miles away![/QUOTE]

evcalyptos

texasmom03 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?TX
My son (26, US citizen, and a single father of 2) has fallen, head over heals for a lovely young lady he met recently, visiting her from France. She is here on a vistor visa which expires the end of Sept. :eek: He can't stand the thought of her leaving and it seems that she is having the same second thoughts as well. He WANTS to marry her!! I think he would do anything he could to keep her in his (& his daughters) life. For them to seek a private attorney for help would be nearly impossible - they are both struggling just to make ends meet!!! She has been looking for her stolen luggage (including her passport, bus ticket, airline ticket) for over 2 months now. She is a treasure...I would love to have her as a daughter in law. I turn to those here who may have a bit of advice for ME....Guess the question this MOM has is what is the best LEGAL direction to give them? Can they even GET a marriage license? I usually can give pretty good advice to my kids but this one is a doosie! We live in a VERY small RURAL community, any offices that would be able to assist us are more than 50 miles away!
There are several issue to sort out first. If your son is old enough to have a child and be considering marriage, he should be able to execute enough emotional maturity to slow down and do things right for the long term, instead of short. ESPECIALLY since there is a child involved.

Has the girl only been here 2 months?

The girl needs to get her passport situation cleared up; there's little she can do without it. Her Consulate in the US should be able to help her get travel documentation.

The documentation for getting married varies by state, or often by county. Find out what the local rules are and see if they can comply with them.

If the girl is ready to simply give up her ties to home and stay in the US the she can apply to adjust her status. This isn't cheap.. the fees are about $1000 and her husband will have to show that he has sufficient income to support his family plus her.
She will not be able to leave the US for several months after putting in an application. Well, she can leave, but she would not be allowed to come back in.

They can also marry and she can leave on schedule and they can pursue a proper immigrant visa so she has time to go home and settle her affairs and plan properly for a move to the US.

texasmom03

Thank you!

Thank you very much for your kind and informative replies. I know that, in the end, it is ultimately my son's decision but a Mom needs to be able to give GOOD advise...even when their kiddo is a grown man! I can now give him "informed" advise!

evcalyptos

texasmom03 said:
Thank you very much for your kind and informative replies. I know that, in the end, it is ultimately my son's decision but a Mom needs to be able to give GOOD advise...even when their kiddo is a grown man! I can now give him "informed" advise!
Trust me, mom. I've only scratched the surface.

There is a lot to learn in the few weeks available to them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">