• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married 22yrs need advice after she kicked me out live in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

The argument is based on her post, # 7. It implies the information in my post is wrong and it isn't.
You flat out said that the information in my post was wrong. You didn't just imply, you flat out said it. I didn't say that you were wrong, I said that you were making it seem simpler than it is.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The argument is based on her post, # 7. It implies the information in my post is wrong and it isn't.
I disagree...in fact, LdiJ is more correct than you are at this moment. You are introducing hypotheticals in to the situation that are well removed from the current situation. LdiJ is right, you may be right.

dmackj10

Thanks but what if the new mobile home is in her name only my understanding is Texas is a 50/50 state so does that mean we split all debt down the middle or would she have to sell the house. sorry let me correct my statement Texas is a community property state

Last edited:

Zigner

It's a subtle difference, but Texas is not a "50/50" state (there is no such thing). Texas is a "community property" state. If the home was acquired during the marriage, then it's marital property, generally speaking. You would be wise to consult with an attorney.

HRZ

THere is some confusion as to just who is your LL....even in TX tenants have rights and your LL cannot properly just boot you without due process...some mobile home situations may differ ..and generallly speaking one spouse cannot properly boot the other out of the marital home without due process.....

Zigner

Frankly, I agree with her. You state that it's "likely" right now that actions can be taken that would transmute the property in to marital property, and that's simply not true. In fact, right now, it's not even possible because dad's still alive and kicking (as LdiJ pointed out).

PayrollHRGuy

If she doesn't yet own the land you will certainly not have any of it coming to you if you divorce now.

You likely do own half of the equity in the trailer and all debt is marital debt.

Go get a lawyer.
He won't get half of it once her dad passes away either. An inheritance is separate property.
There are several things that a married couple can do that will convert that separate property to marital property. And considering it sounds like it is a working ranch many of those things would not only be possible but likely.
There is the string. Where exactly did I say that 'it's "likely" right now."?

In fact the ONLY place I wrote the word "now" was telling him he had nothing coming to him "now".

Zigner

There is the string. Where exactly did I say that 'it's "likely" right now."?

In fact the ONLY place I wrote the word "now" was telling him he had nothing coming to him "now".
Post #4:
There are several things that a married couple can do that will convert that separate property to marital property. And considering it sounds like it is a working ranch many of those things would not only be possible but likely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">