• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married couple pay double rent for one room?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Polymorph

What is the name of your state? SOUTH DAKOTA

We were wondering if you could settle a dispute for us. We are a married couple living in a rented four-bedroomed house with 3 other people. The total rent for the house comes to $840; recently, it was decided that my partner and I each pay a full share of the final sum, meaning that we are in effect paying double for one room plus each of our utilities. I find this to be unfair as we are paying for an extra room we don't have. It would actually be cheaper for us to own a one-bedroomed apartment! Is there any rule or guideline as to how this should be done?

longneck

in the absence of a written agreement stating otherwise, nope. sorry, you're not going to find any laws on this particular situation.

PghREA

Polymorph said:
What is the name of your state? SOUTH DAKOTA

We were wondering if you could settle a dispute for us. We are a married couple living in a rented four-bedroomed house with 3 other people. The total rent for the house comes to $840; recently, it was decided that my partner and I each pay a full share of the final sum, meaning that we are in effect paying double for one room plus each of our utilities. I find this to be unfair as we are paying for an extra room we don't have. It would actually be cheaper for us to own a one-bedroomed apartment! Is there any rule or guideline as to how this should be done?
Actually, the rules are whatever the 5 of you decide. Utilities probably should be divided by 5. You and your spouse do have equal use of the common rooms of the house (kitchen, dining room, living room etc.) The difference in rent is only $42.00. I would pay it all but, I think you should pay at least half.

Polymorph

apartment

If we were to pay for the use of one room, it would be $210, now we are paying $336. The rent goes down for everyone individually but we are still paying a lot more, plus utilities, cable, internet access which I feel covers use of the other rooms.

If a couple moves into a one-bedroomed apartment or house, the landlord wouldn't make you pay double because two of you live there, you share the cost, which was why we moved into the house into the first place. I have a friend who moved in with two students and paid for the rent of her one room despite having a partner and child. Maybe I should ask for my own room seeing as I pay for one!

Who's Liable?

as stated before...

There are NO laws in regards to how to properly break the fee down... Payments are whatever you and your roommates decide... The LL does not care how it is divided, just that he gets his rent money on time...

F

fish-bum

Here is another way to look at it - if only 3 people rented the 4 bedroom house then how would you fairly split the cost then?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">