• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married from Dubai

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? FL

I am from Florida and i married a man from Dubai. After 4 years of marriage we finally decided to get divorced. We bought a house together in Dubai which was very expensive. Not half but i too put my share to buy that house. Will i be able to get some share on the house. He had consulted an divorce lawyer in Dubai. Should I hire a divorce attorney from here. Will the divorce proceedings be different. Please help.

FlyingRon

You're going to need a good attorney in Dubai. Things do not bode well for you with regard to the foreign assets.

If you intend to remain in the US, then you should be also talking to an attorney here. While, the US will honor the ultimate UAE divorce decree, it may behoove you to seek one here.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The US doesn't have jurisdiction over property in Dubai. When is the last time your husband lived in Florida if ever?

LdiJ

You're going to need a good attorney in Dubai. Things do not bode well for you with regard to the foreign assets.

If you intend to remain in the US, then you should be also talking to an attorney here. While, the US will honor the ultimate UAE divorce decree, it may behoove you to seek one here.
Why? I could possibly see some reason for US litigation if there are US marital assets but otherwise, there would be no reason to seek a second divorce case in the US.

FlyingRon

I didn't say a second divorce case in the US. If there are US assets, she definitely wants to proceed here first. She has two (maybe three) problems with the UAE: One, she's a woman. Two, she's a foreigner, and possibly three, she's a non muslim. The UAE decrees more or less operate good with foreign divorce decrees (though it still might take some effort to get assets there), but she'll likely get a better deal on the US assets with a divorce here.

Thank you for helping.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">