• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married in 2009 -Process of a dissolution of Marriage rights in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sokols

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My son married in July 2009. He has filed dissolution of marriage paperpwork just shy of the 5 years of marriage although he is waiting for the dissolution papers to be finalized. His wife and he decided at the time of filing to part ways and separated material belongings and made no agreements regarding any alimony or child support. They marriage dissolved when she had a baby and was already in another relationship and unsure of the paternity. The other man signed the birth certificate as being the father. The wife has since quit her job and now wants child support and alimony from my son. What rights does my son have with these claims?
The other issue is a leased car which the wife had possession of and the car needs to be turned in with a balance fee of $2600.00 owed to the dealership. The car was in my son's name and she was a co-signer. Will he be liable for the fees and the return of the car?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My son married in July 2009. He has filed dissolution of marriage paperpwork just shy of the 5 years of marriage although he is waiting for the dissolution papers to be finalized. His wife and he decided at the time of filing to part ways and separated material belongings and made no agreements regarding any alimony or child support. They marriage dissolved when she had a baby and was already in another relationship and unsure of the paternity. The other man signed the birth certificate as being the father. The wife has since quit her job and now wants child support and alimony from my son. What rights does my son have with these claims?
The other issue is a leased car which the wife had possession of and the car needs to be turned in with a balance fee of $2600.00 owed to the dealership. The car was in my son's name and she was a co-signer. Will he be liable for the fees and the return of the car?
Please have your adult son sign on and inquire about his own matter. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">