• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married in NJ and divorced in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Corrine Pacelli

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I was married in 1985 in NJ. We moved to Calif. and I filed for dissolution in Aug. 1987 (I used a book on How to file a divorce in CA, no attorney) and moved back to NJ shortly thereafter (Sept). I mailed in the final papers in Mar. 1988. Is the divorce valid? and by moving back to NJ so soon did I violate any state living requirements by leaving so soon and filing the final papers from another state(sent to CA from NJ)...we also weren't separated for 18 months from the date filed to date finalized. Would appreciate any info...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Corrine Pacelli said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I was married in 1985 in NJ. We moved to Calif. and I filed for dissolution in Aug. 1987 (I used a book on How to file a divorce in CA, no attorney) and moved back to NJ shortly thereafter (Sept). I mailed in the final papers in Mar. 1988. Is the divorce valid? and by moving back to NJ so soon did I violate any state living requirements by leaving so soon and filing the final papers from another state(sent to CA from NJ)...we also weren't separated for 18 months from the date filed to date finalized. Would appreciate any info...

My response:

Did you ever receive a "Final Decree of Dissolution" from the California court?

IAAL

C

Corrine Pacelli

re: married in NJ divorced in CA

I received a paper saying "final judgment of dissolution of marriage", but the one box that said final judgment of dissolution of marriage shall be entered nune pro tunc as of date: was not checked off nor was a date printed. It was original filed on Mar. 25, 1987 and dated March 25 1988. The only box checked was my former name restored. There is a statement that says "you are notified that a final judgment of dissolution was entered on Mar 25 1988. It was under the title Notice of entry of judgment. It's on a paper stated request for final judgment, final judgment of dissolution of marriage, and notice of entry of judgment. anything else you need to know?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: re: married in NJ divorced in CA

Corrine Pacelli said:
I received a paper saying "final judgment of dissolution of marriage", but the one box that said final judgment of dissolution of marriage shall be entered nune pro tunc as of date: was not checked off nor was a date printed. It was original filed on Mar. 25, 1987 and dated March 25 1988. The only box checked was my former name restored. There is a statement that says "you are notified that a final judgment of dissolution was entered on Mar 25 1988. It was under the title Notice of entry of judgment. It's on a paper stated request for final judgment, final judgment of dissolution of marriage, and notice of entry of judgment. anything else you need to know?

My response:

Then, as of March 25, 1988, you were divorced.

So, why would you think that your divorce wasn't valid?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">