• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married to a non-citizen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

delyn

What is the name of your state? California

I am married to a non citizen, how do i file my income taxes when my spouse does not have a Social Security Number? Please advise.

Snipes5

Does your spouse live in CA with you? Is your spouse a resident or citizen of Canada or Mexico? Do you have any children? Does your spouse? Do you have any children together? Where do they live and what are their ages (if under 19)?

Does your spouse intend to move to the US and establish residency/citizenship? Do you intend to leave the US and live somewhere else?

As you may have guessed, my answer depends on your answers to my questions.

Snipes

delyn

Does your spouse live in CA with you?

No, right now my spouse still resides in his native country, but will be joining me sometime next year.

Is your spouse a resident or citizen of Canada or Mexico?

No, my spouse in from Nigeria

Do you have any children?

I have one child from a previous relationship.

Does your spouse?

No, my spouse does not have any children of his own.

Do you have any children together?

We do not have any children together, as of yet.

Where do they live and what are their ages (if under 19)?

Does your spouse intend to move to the US and establish residency/citizenship?

Yes, we are in the planning stage for him to come the United States.

Do you intend to leave the US and live somewhere else?

No, United States will be our permenat home.

As you may have guessed, my answer depends on your answers to my questions.

Snipes5

Until your spouse moves to the US, your option is to file "Married Filing Separate", unless your "minor" child lives with you in the US, in which case you may be able to file as "Head of Household".

Once your spouse moves to the US, you may then file "Married Filing Jointly".

You may not, under any circumstances, file as "Single".

You will want to consult with a Tax Professional who has experience with international tax issues. Be sure to give them all the information I asked for.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">