• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married to F1 Visa Holder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? New York

I'm an american citizen who has married a holder of F1 visa. My question deals with affidavit of support. I only have last 2 year's of tax document, is there anything else that can be filed in liu of 3rd year tax document? Would a notarized letter from employer work?



If you have only 2 years show them only 2 years. Nothing can do more. But I would like to advise you that please find cosponcer for your sopuse. So it will be no more problem.


If you have worked for more than the two years as you stated (and simply lost the previous tax returns) you can file Form 4506 with the IRS. This form will get you IRS copies of your old tax returns.
If however, you have only worked for two years and have only the past 2 years tax returns, it would be wise (as MMM stated) to find another person willing to co-sponser. It can be anyone at all.


Just make sure the co-sponsor fulfills all the sponsor's requirements, just as if he/she were the only sponsor (eg. 125% income requirement for his household size, etc)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential