• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married Twice One divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

*SilverSurfer*

Maryland?

In August of 1989, I was married in North Carolina and four months later married again to the same woman in Maryland. We have two seperate marriage licenses. This was done so my military orders would include her when I was sent to a new duty station but she did not want her parents to now we were married in a civil ceremony. We were diveorce on 7 September 2004 in Maryland and no mention of the North Carolina marriage is made anywhere. What is the status of that? Are we still leagally married? Can I remarry someone else without that coming back to haunt me? Is the divorce settlement still valid if we are still legally married in NC?

LdiJ

*SilverSurfer* said:
Maryland?

In August of 1989, I was married in North Carolina and four months later married again to the same woman in Maryland. We have two seperate marriage licenses. This was done so my military orders would include her when I was sent to a new duty station but she did not want her parents to now we were married in a civil ceremony. We were diveorce on 7 September 2004 in Maryland and no mention of the North Carolina marriage is made anywhere. What is the status of that? Are we still leagally married? Can I remarry someone else without that coming back to haunt me? Is the divorce settlement still valid if we are still legally married in NC?
You probably need to consult an attorney. Your first marriage was the valid marriage and really should have been the one mentioned in your divorce...a local attorney can best advise you how to proceed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">