• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marrying Girlfriend from Sweden

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tgrt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I'm getting ahead of myself, but I want to know what's in store, not be surprised and have things more difficult, because I didn't know the facts earlier. I've searched on this and read several accounts, but it's still unclear and the information was from years ago and potentially stale.

The short story is I want to know the best, least painful and least time consuming way to marry my girlfriend from Sweden if we get to that point. Since getting divorced some years ago, she's the first woman that I have considered as a possibility. She has a good job, but more than likely not one that would translate to getting a work visa.

I would love to bring her over here for an extended period of time, and she is amiable to that. I have the financial ability to provide for her. Ultimately, if the US won't let us be together then I would move to Sweden. My work skills are something that would be useful there.

Last edited:

TigerD

No advice for immigration.

If you can work there mate, you might want to give serious thought to that. This ship is sinking. People will start watering the tree within the next two years and nobody knows how that is going to turn out.

DC

Proserpina

I'm getting ahead of myself, but I want to know what's in store, not be surprised and have things more difficult, because I didn't know the facts earlier. I've searched on this and read several accounts, but it's still unclear and the information was from years ago and potentially stale.

The short story is I want to know the best, least painful and least time consuming way to marry my girlfriend from Sweden if we get to that point. Since getting divorced some years ago, she's the first woman that I have considered as a possibility. She has a good job, but more than likely not one that would translate to getting a work visa.

I would love to bring her over here for an extended period of time, and she is amiable to that. I have the financial ability to provide for her. Ultimately, if the US won't let us be together then I would move to Sweden. My work skills are something that would be useful there.

Immigration answer:

Well, the most important thing at this stage is understanding your obligation if you do marry her and you live in the US.

You would have to sponsor her; if you can't meet the criteria you'll need a co-sponsor.

Okay, but what happens with the sponsor? The sponsor has now promised the US that his wife will not become a public charge.

Ah ... but what's a public charge: This is very condensed, but it might be really tedious so first, the link http://www.uscis.gov/news/fact-sheets/public-charge-fact-sheet

This is the basic gist:
USCIS defines “public charge”as an individual who is likely to become “primarily dependent on the government for subsistence, as demonstrated by either the receipt of public cash assistance for income maintenance, or institutionalization for long-term care at government expense
Basically , the US doesn't want the tax-payers to end up supporting your wife.

The obligation does not end until 1 of these things happens:

1. She dies
2. You die
3. She earns 40 qualifying credits (works for 10 years basically)
4. She leaves the country permanently
5. She naturalizes (becomes a citizen)

Is that more or less what you were wondering?

If she does somehow qualifies for those benefits, the Government can require you to pay it back. If you divorce, the sponsor can sue you to enforce the I-864 (it's about $1100/month). Every single case I've seen has gone in favor of the immigrant.

Please feel free to ask more questions :)

LdiJ

I would love to bring her over here for an extended period of time, and she is amiable to that
. I have the financial ability to provide for her. Ultimately, if the US won't let us be together then I would move to Sweden. My work skills are something that would be useful there.
Re the bolded...she can spend six months here on a tourist visa. Ultimately the US would allow you to be together here in the US if you marry. There are however loops to jump through. See an immigration attorney when you actually get to the point that you are ready to get married.

Proserpina

L, I'm sorry but that's probably the one thing they shouldn't do. Or at least, get a damn good attorney because this particular couple have some problems (we you can read here but I'll add to it in the morning. Okay in MY morning.. :) )

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e1s1

In particular there is a catch 22 situation here.

tgrt

...Well, the most important thing at this stage is understanding your obligation if you do marry her and you live in the US.

You would have to sponsor her; ...

Is that more or less what you were wondering? ...
No, but still good information. Essentially what I want to know is what do I need to do to be with her legally, with as little pain and separation as possible? I've never pursued a relationship like this before, so it's uncharted territory.

L, I'm sorry but that's probably the one thing they shouldn't do. Or at least, get a damn good attorney because this particular couple have some problems (we you can read here but I'll add to it in the morning. Okay in MY morning.. :) )

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e1s1

In particular there is a catch 22 situation here.
I'm listening.

Will be out quite a bit the next two weeks, so my responses will be delayed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">