• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Martial arts conract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thenewwriter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland
My husband signed a contract for a Taekwondo class in February 2007 for one year, to go to a purple belt. He has a medical problem with his neck (replaced a shattered disc). The teacher knew this when the classes started. My problem is that his teacher extended the contract to a semi-black belt without my husbands permission or signature. I say that he is not repsonsible for any payment on a contract that he did not sign. He says that because he has continued to go to classes and get 2 more belts (belt testing is not included in the monthly payments) he would be held to the contract by civil law. We have told the teacher and the payment company that he is having problems with his neck again but he was told by the payment company that he could not get out of his contract without a doctors note. We are not in the positions right now to afford any doctors visits, as my husband nor I have any insurance.

Please know that any information would be a great help, as I am trying to understand this civil law he is referring to.

Thank you in advance.

racer72

Without reading the contract, there is no way to answer your questions. But there is presidence supporting the extrension of a contract without signing the contract. Ever enter into a cell phone or gym membership contract? Automatic extension is common with these type of businesses. Your husband may have entered into a similar contract. I would suggest taking the money used to pay for the lessons and pay a doctor for the note. A simple doctor's office visit is generally under $100.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">