• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maryland Overtime and Pay Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Annon1123

Maryland:
I recently quit my job at the end of last month, I was a non-exempt salaried employee. I receive a set amount of pay per month and my boss wanted me to work a set amount of hours each month.

My last month with this employer I worked 193 hours, 23 hours over the contract. However, since he says that I did not meet my hours on the previous months (due to their being a lack of work) he cut my last paycheck by over $3,000. Can he do this under the law even though I am a salaried employee?

Also, He has never paid me or any employees overtime. Looking at some of my past timesheets I should have received overtime for over 500 hours of work but since I did not know much about labor law, I only received my normal hourly rate. What are my options to rectify this?

Lastly, can I request my employer send me copies of my timesheets for the previous two years under Maryland Labor Law? Is he required to provide those timesheets to me?

Thank you for your help.

PayrollHRGuy

Not just each month but each pay week stands on its own. While the employer could have deducted from your pay on the weeks when you didn't work 40 hours he can't do so retroactively as he did. And you are owed time and a half for all weeks you work over 40 hours.

You can as for a copy and he may even give them to you but I wouldn't count on it.

On the other hand, if you file a wage claim with the state he will turn them over to them.

https://www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/wages/essclaimform.shtml

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">