• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maryland - Spouse off of deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carly12

My spouse is only on the deed of our house. He would like to not be on the deed anymore. I am the only one on the mortgage. Does anyone know how he can get his name off of the deed in Maryland.

quincy

My spouse is only on the deed of our house. He would like to not be on the deed anymore. I am the only one on the mortgage. Does anyone know how he can get his name off of the deed in Maryland.
He can quitclaim the property to you.

zddoodah

My spouse is only on the deed of our house. . . . I am the only one on the mortgage.
So...he owns the house but you got a mortgage? How were you able to secure a mortgage against property you don't own? Because you don't own the property, you could not grant an encumbrance against the property.

Does anyone know how he can get his name off of the deed in Maryland.
He can't. Deeds don't get altered by removing (or adding) names. He could, of course, execute a new deed that transfers his interest to whomever he wants.

What exactly is it that you and he are seeking to accomplish here?

quincy

I assume both Carly and her spouse are currently on the deed. If my assumption is correct, her spouse can quitclaim his interest in the property to her, removing him from the deed. Carly would be unlikely to get a mortgage on property she didn’t own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">