• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Massachusetts - Conservator Selling Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bay01

Massachusetts

I am Guardian & Conservator for my mother. I would like to sell her car. Can I (as conservator) sign the car title to sell the car?

LdiJ

Massachusetts

I am Guardian & Conservator for my mother. I would like to sell her car. Can I (as conservator) sign the car title to sell the car?
Your local DMV would be a better source of information than an internet forum.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well, kind of. The OP needs to review the full terms of the guardianship/conservatorship that was granted. That will explain if s/he has the authority to sell the vehicle. The DRMV will need to be consulted for the forms and formats that need to be followed once (and if) it is determined that such an act is allowed.

Last edited:

Bay01

Thank you, I have tried to get information via the Mass DMV website. I've submitted my question a couple of times and have not received an answer.

LdiJ

Just a small correction: MA has the RMV not the DMV.
Interesting. I have heard of DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles), BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles) but RMV is completely new to me. What does the "R" stand for?

Zigner

Thank you, I have tried to get information via the Mass DMV website. I've submitted my question a couple of times and have not received an answer.
You need to review the order granting the conservatorship/guardianship. That will give you the answer.

adjusterjack

Massachusetts

Look on the back of her title. Does the seller's signature have to be notarized? I found a couple of MA title samples online that appear not to need notarization. If that's the case, do your papers give you authority to sell stuff on her behalf and power of attorney to sign her name? If yes, that should be all you need to do.

zddoodah

Interesting. I have heard of DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles), BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles) but RMV is completely new to me. What does the "R" stand for?
Google is your friend.

Can I (as conservator) sign the car title to sell the car?
What does your convservatorship order say about your authority to sell or otherwise dispose of the conservatee's property?

adjusterjack

Bay01

Well, kind of. The OP needs to review the full terms of the guardianship/conservatorship that was granted. That will explain if s/he has the authority to sell the vehicle. The DRMV will need to be consulted for the forms and formats that need to be followed once (and if) it is determined that such an act is allowed.
Hi, thank you for responding. I'm still trying to contact the DMV but getting through either through their site or by phone is difficult.

Bay01

Google is your friend.

What does your convservatorship order say about your authority to sell or otherwise dispose of the conservatee's property?
Google doesn't give me anything. That's why I decided to post a question here, hoping that someone (a conservator) would have some advice.

RMV = Registry of Motor Vehicles

Zigner

Google doesn't give me anything. That's why I decided to post a question here, hoping that someone (a conservator) would have some advice.

RMV = Registry of Motor Vehicles
The Google comment was related to the meaning of RMV and wasn't directed at you.

Zigner

Hi, thank you for responding. I'm still trying to contact the DMV but getting through either through their site or by phone is difficult.
Are you actually located in MA? If yes, it might be better to make an in-person appointment (if you can).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">