• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maternal Grandparent's wanting visitation right's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PanickedMomofCA

What is the name of your state? CA

I am a mom needing help! I am remarried. The son that will be mentioned, his father is out of the picture. He wants nothing to do with him. My parents live in NM and they filed for grandparent visitations in my county. Can they do that and what can I do? My son who is 7 now, saw a Counselor when he was 5. She thought was in the best interest of the child to set rules for the grandparents to follow. They didn't. We told the counselor that we planned on moving, but still in CA. She thought it was a good idea. We, as a family, want to live our own lives. I suffered 3 strokes a year ago. They visited me in the hospital everyday, but I didn't ask them to do that. They feel I should owe my life and my son's life to them. Can they interfere like that?

[/INDENT][/I]The grandparents have seen him since the counselors recommendation and at that time we moved upstate. They saw him quite a bit while I was in the hospital. My father had complained to my husband about how I am dependent on others and how they would like to be independent.

Last edited:

LdiJ

PanickedMomofCA said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I am a mom needing help! I am remarried. The son that will be mentioned, his father is out of the picture. He wants nothing to do with him. My parents live in NM and they filed for grandparent visitations in my county. Can they do that and what can I do? My son who is 7 now, saw a Counselor when he was 5. She thought was in the best interest of the child to set rules for the grandparents to follow. They didn't. We told the counselor that we planned on moving, but still in CA. She thought it was a good idea. We, as a family, want to live our own lives. I suffered 3 strokes a year ago. They visited me in the hospital everyday, but I didn't ask them to do that. They feel I should owe my life and my son's life to them. Can they interfere like that?
Ok...take a big deep breath. Yes, they can FILE for visitation. That does not automatically mean that they can win. A third party visitation case (and that is what this is) is very different than a parent vs parent case.

Now, you said that the counselor said that rules should be set when your son was 5 and they weren't willing to follow the rules. You also said that your son is 7 now. Does that mean that they haven't seen your child since he was 5? That can make a serious difference in the case. If they have seen your child in the last two years, how often and for how long?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">