• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maternity benefits jurisdiction CA/GA/PR

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madacebo

Hi,

I work from home for a Puerto Rican company and am co-employed by a PEO in Atlanta. When hired I was a resident of California (I continue to be paid as though I were living there) but I'm now living in Santiago, Chile. I'm pregnant, and when the baby is born later this year I will either be in Mexico or Chile. I believe I am not eligible for FMLA benefits. I have two questions:

1. What is considered my place of employment for the purposes of determining my legal maternity leave? (Puerto Rican law requires two months paid, Chile requires 4.5 unpaid, and I don't know if I'd get anything in CA or GA)

2. If I am paying state taxes and making SDI contributions in CA, will I be able to collect SDI payments while on leave, even though I'm not physically there and am not eligible for FMLA?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">