• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Max garnishment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tony_apples

What is the name of your state? NYS

There is a possibility that my wages might be garnished because of a judgment. I understand that the maximum garnishment is 25% of net wages.

If a single creditor was having my wages garnished at 25%, what would happen if another judgment were entered against me, and that creditor also wanted to garnish?

Do they each get 12.5%? Is it split in some other fashion? If 5 judgment creditors wanted to garnish my wages, do they each get 5%?

Thanks a lot.

Ladynred

If a single creditor was having my wages garnished at 25%, what would happen if another judgment were entered against me, and that creditor also wanted to garnish?
The first judgment creditor in line to garnish getting the max gets it all.. any others that come along have to literally wait their turn until the first is finished.

Stormywish

The last reply was correct, I know this because I'm on the other end everyday and alot of time I have to wait months until my garnishment hits the debtor, first come, first served.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">