• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maximum amount that I can have in my bank account?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
I am currently on the East Coast but will be moving out west after the new year.

I receive SSI/SSA due to being disabled. I believe I was told at one point (or maybe I read it somewhere) that you can only have a certain amount of money in your account otherwise you will be ruled ineligible or something for SSI/SSA?

I only get about 650 a month, and while I'm with my family I'm saving up my benefits until I move out West, so I'll have the money to find a place and whatnot.

Right now I have about 1,100 in the bank, and I have two more months before I move.

So should I remove some of that when I get to a certain amount, so that I don't get disqualified or something?

please let me know.



Senior Member
What is Supplemental Security Income (SSI)?

The SSI program provides monthly income to people who are age 65 or older, or are blind or disabled, and have limited income and financial resources. Effective January 2009 the SSI payment for an eligible individual is $674 per month and $1,011 per month for an eligible couple. If you are married, and only one person is eligible, a portion of your spouse's income may be counted. In addition, your financial resources (savings and assets you own) cannot exceed $2,000 ($3,000 if married). You can be eligible for SSI even if you have never worked in employment covered under Social Security.

Generally, to be eligible for SSI, an individual also must be a resident of the United States and must be a citizen or a noncitizen lawfully admitted for permanent residence. Also, some noncitizens granted a special status by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) may be eligible.

For more information, you may want to read our publication called SSI (Publication No. 05-11000). You may also want to read our introductory material in the booklet, Understanding SSI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential