• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maximum Amount?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Missouri

I was told in the small claims court that the maximum amount that I could recover is $3000.00.

The clerk told me that I had to write a demand letter ( or contact them) to the individual requesting payment. In this letter, the clerk said that I have to list the amount that I am requesting.

Can this amount be higher than the maximum that I can recover? Or does it have to be listed at $ 3000.00 even though the entire amount is around $3900.00?

I know that I can only recover the lower amount, but this seems like I am telling them I am taking them to small claims, versus getting a lawyer to recover the entire amount.

Thank you


Senior Member
You demand full payment . $3900.00 . What you are doing is demanding your payment .
Don't indicate , " OR ELSE I will file small claims " .
Just DEMAND the amount he owes you . Demand the amount he owes you be paid within 10 business days .

If he don't pay , file a claim .

Note: If you get a Judgment , you will still have to take steps to collect .


Junior Member
Thank you. I thought that that was being unfair. As if I were revealing how I was going to play my hand.

What you say makes a lot more sense.

Thanks again


Junior Member
He has Insurance. I have witnesses to the accident that puts the fault on him, although the Insurance Company only wants to pay 35% of the damages. This is an attempt to try to recover the full amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential