• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

May be sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bryan23

I live in Arizona.

Last july our apartment building burned down. According to the Fire Dept. Report the fire was ruled an accident. However, the fire started in the hot water heater closet of our apartment. Although there was no criminal or legal charges filed, one of the other tenant's insurance company is trying to collect for damages from me. My wife and I survive on small incomes from our work. We also did not have renters insurance. I'm not sure what to do or what can happen. Any advice is greatly apperciated.

Bryan

JETX

What allegations are they making that the fire was caused by your actions or negligence??

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bryan23 said:
I live in Arizona.

Last july our apartment building burned down. According to the Fire Dept. Report the fire was ruled an accident. However, the fire started in the hot water heater closet of our apartment. Although there was no criminal or legal charges filed, one of the other tenant's insurance company is trying to collect for damages from me. My wife and I survive on small incomes from our work. We also did not have renters insurance. I'm not sure what to do or what can happen. Any advice is greatly apperciated.

Bryan

My response:

"Maybe I'm amazed at the way you sue me all the time . . ."

Okay, there must be some theory of liability. People, or insurance companies, don't demand money unless there is some sort of negligence - - at the very least.

What is the insurance company saying to you, besides "Pay us the money."

IAAL

B

bryan23

may be sued by insurance company

Arizona

The ins. company is basing liability on the fire report that states there were an item in the closet that started the fire. Also there were items stored to close to the hot water heater.

Thanks,
bryan

B

bryan23

My question is what should I do, since we have no $$$$. " As in poor". We lost everything in the fire. It wasn't like I meant to start the fire. I feel awful about the whole thing.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bryan23 said:
My question is what should I do, since we have no $$$$. " As in poor". We lost everything in the fire. It wasn't like I meant to start the fire. I feel awful about the whole thing.

My response:

I know you feel badly. I know you didn't mean to start the fire. That's why they're called "accidents."

I'm also sorry that I cannot, in good conscience, tell you about methods of not paying your just debts. It's a cruel world, and that's why there's a thing called insurance coverage. But, you failed to buy any insurance coverage.

I do, however, wish you good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">