• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

May parent participate in decision of teen dui case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theneighbor

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

I am a 17 year old; who, is being represented by a public defender on a DUI charge. This attorney insists on me making decisions alone without the input of my custodial parent. I want to know if this is legal or do I have the right to have my parent present during attorney/client sessions and may the parent participate during the process?

BelizeBreeze

theneighbor said:
What is the name of your state? Kentucky

I am a 17 year old; who, is being represented by a public defender on a DUI charge. This attorney insists on me making decisions alone without the input of my custodial parent. I want to know if this is legal or do I have the right to have my parent present during attorney/client sessions and may the parent participate during the process?
Your parents have nothing to do with this. The attorney represents you, NOT your parents.

And yes, this is exactly the way it works. IT's time to take responsibility.

noobie

Belize is Right. This is between you and your attorney, however your parent(s) can be present when you are talking to your attorney. But the attorney was hired by "YOU" to work for "YOU", he will not follow anything your parent(s) say. But if you think the information or help is valid from your parent(s), then ask your lawyer what he thinks about it. but remember it is between you and your lawyer to decide what course of action to take.

Wow! Kentucky's Legal Adult Age is 17?

noobie said:
Belize is Right. This is between you and your attorney, however your parent(s) can be present when you are talking to your attorney. But the attorney was hired by "YOU" to work for "YOU", he will not follow anything your parent(s) say. But if you think the information or help is valid from your parent(s), then ask your lawyer what he thinks about it. but remember it is between you and your lawyer to decide what course of action to take.
Hhhmm, I'm not an attorney, but was a cop for eight years...

And, that was in California, where the legal adult age is 18. We were required to have at least one of any minor child's parent/guardian present during any questioning. Plus, at least here, no minor has the legal right to enter into any contractural agreement without permission of at least one parent/guardian (including agreements to be defended in court by public defenders).

If this 17-year-old is considered a minor by Kentucky's standards, that PD should know his agreement to defend that kid is through his parent/guardian, not the minor. Of course, if this is not the case, then he can still request his parent/guardian be present, and ask their opinion on things.

His use of the term "custodial" implies he IS a minor--or he isn't aware of his adult status.

BelizeBreeze

Help34Friend said:
Hhhmm, I'm not an attorney, but was a cop for eight years...

And, that was in California, where the legal adult age is 18. We were required to have at least one of any minor child's parent/guardian present during any questioning. Plus, at least here, no minor has the legal right to enter into any contractural agreement without permission of at least one parent/guardian (including agreements to be defended in court by public defenders).
And that is a custodial instance protected by the Constitution which has nothing to do with this situation.
If this 17-year-old is considered a minor by Kentucky's standards, that PD should know his agreement to defend that kid is through his parent/guardian, not the minor. Of course, if this is not the case, then he can still request his parent/guardian be present, and ask their opinion on things.
This is an agreement between the PD and the court. Most PDs will involve the parents AFTER the facts of the case are known. But they are not mandated to do so. It does no good to have mom and pop telling a PD or any attorney how wonderful sonny boy is until the full facts of the case can be discussed with the PDs client. And that is the minor here.
His use of the term "custodial" implies he IS a minor--or he isn't aware of his adult status.
It doesn't matter. His attorney works for HIM, not the parents. There is more to this story that we are being told.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">