• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MCROWLY YOU LOCKED YOUR THREAD: Fair use for services provided

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

You are not home free. You locked your thread before we could respond to your later statements. You are likely to get in trouble if you run off an do what you want now.

First nothing in your thread has anything to do with "FAIR USE." That's a misuse of the term. Permissive use is different than fair use.

FamousRockStar's music is almost CERTAINLY covered by copyright and even if the Haunted House venue has the rights to perform it, that doesn't give you the rights. You need to identify the appropriate PRO (ascap.com, bmi.com, sesac.com) and license your site to perform the music.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are not home free. You locked your thread before we could respond to your later statements. You are likely to get in trouble if you run off an do what you want now.

First nothing in your thread has anything to do with "FAIR USE." That's a misuse of the term. Permissive use is different than fair use.

FamousRockStar's music is almost CERTAINLY covered by copyright and even if the Haunted House venue has the rights to perform it, that doesn't give you the rights. You need to identify the appropriate PRO (ascap.com, bmi.com, sesac.com) and license your site to perform the music.
I think you misunderstand -

I believe that MCROWLY performed services at "Rocker's Haunted House" and now wants to use that as part of his resume, so to speak.

quincy

I think MrCrowley may have locked his thread prematurely, perhaps, but he said there was NOT going to be any music used, at the venue or on his website - so no rights to the music or sound recordings need to be licensed. ;)

I should have addressed the "sounds" that the performers will be making, though, I guess. These would not be protectable unless they are unique enough to qualify for copyright protection (which I tend to doubt).

Edit to add: My understanding of MrCrowley's posts is the same as Zigner's understanding.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">