• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mday

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mday

What is the name of your state? new york
I was involved in an auto accident in 2003. A taxi driver slowed to and almost stop in the left lane of a highway so that he wouldnt miss is exit wich was off the right. He did not have any hazard lights or break lights on. By the time I realized he was not moving i tried to go around him but did not make it. The driver was not injured but apprantly his passenger who was sitting in the front seat was injured. I was not issued a ticket, my insurance company put at 90% fault becuase i hit him from the back. Now the passsenger is sueing me and the taxi driver and the owner of the taxi. She is sueing for more than my insurance will pay (100,000.00) If she won in trial, could she go after my home. I was in the process of building it when the accident occured. The house is in my husband and my names. If she was awarded over 100 would i be able to pay in payments from salary to avoid losing my home?

stagecrewgod

That would be negoigiated between you and her... The judge would award her $100,000 (or whatever he sees fit) and then when the judgement goes through, then you can say you want to make payments as you can not afford it... If she agrees, then you will set up a payment plan (which will usully accur interest) but if she declines, then she can come after you... BUT, do not give her your social security number then she can not garnish your wages... I have two lawsuits awarded to me for lemon cars and I have yet to recieve since I did not have there SSN so I could not force them... By the way, this is all California law...

racer72

stagecrewgod said:
That would be negoigiated between you and her... The judge would award her $100,000 (or whatever he sees fit) and then when the judgement goes through, then you can say you want to make payments as you can not afford it... If she agrees, then you will set up a payment plan (which will usully accur interest) but if she declines, then she can come after you... BUT, do not give her your social security number then she can not garnish your wages... I have two lawsuits awarded to me for lemon cars and I have yet to recieve since I did not have there SSN so I could not force them... By the way, this is all California law...
What does California law have to do with someone in New York? Absolutely nothing. Why waste the OP's time and this sites bandwidth giving advice that is totally useless, and incorrect I might add. One thing you mention could land someone in court facing criminal contempt charges.

To the OP. First, contact your insurance company. They will hire an attorney to represent you. Attorneys that work for insurance companies are very good at settling within their clients policy limits. That attorney will also answer your questions as related to your personal property and will advise you of your option based on your state's laws.

LSCAP

You mean the taxi was in the left lane of a multi-lane highway, and making an improper right turn, and the fault is 90% yours?

Who investigated the accident, the taxi driver?

I used to live in NY. If you miss the exit, you go to the next one. You don't cut off a bunch of lanes of traffic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">