• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MEB approved/admin sep pending What should I do??????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

202heatherb

What is the name of your state?I reside in Washington DC/New York Resident

Ad AF 9yrs/Self ID-Diagnosed with Cannibis dependance/Major Depresive Disorder Severe with psychotic features. MEB/PEB approved discharge With Severance Pay 10% disability- signed and accepted on 9sep05. Command serve ad/sep today at 1600 recomend honorable discharge-repay reenlistment bonus. 1st shirt says i should decline my seperation board rights and leave it up to Sec Of AF to decide.

What should i do?fight for MEB. accept ad sep as is or leave it up to the board?
Should i trust my ADC rep or get outside help?

Last edited:

welcome to the club

I just went through something similar. This is what commanders do when they decide they would like to see get no disability benefits from the PES.

From my experience, there is not much hope to defend yourself against a command once they determine they no longer want you.

I hope things work out for you and you can get the treatment you need to deal with the mental health issues. It is very scary to have to deal with mental health issues, legal issues, and a military culture that most often crushes you when you admit you have a problem of "weakness and character defect."

You are in unfriendly territory.

Please review my posts below.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=275266

202heatherb

Thanks, i do want to get out. i have no choice "zero tolerance", what upsets me is they started ad/sep after PEB approval. They don't believe i deserve severance pay/compensation. It's the only "punishment" i can receive because i self-identified to ADAPT. Good news...My ADC informed me that in dual cases like ours, 99% are discharged under PEB recomendations, and if ad/sep is chosen, you may be entitled to seperation pay.VA may be able to pick up your disability payments.

MBEEBE

MEB and Admin. Separation.

If you are facing an MEB and the Admin. Separation, and you have over 6 years, don't they have to run side by side, so to speak? Our JAG guy, said they cannot decide on the type of discharge, until after the MEB stuff is done. Also, why would the disability go away? If they decide on the General Under Honorable, are you saying you won't get any diability? Even, if the MEB says you're entitled?

202heatherb

meb complete

MEB is done: recomended discharge with severence pay 10% disability. You are correct they will be processed together.
I don't know what will happen to the disability if they go with ad/sep.

my experience

I was active duty Marine for 17 years, 10 months.

I was found unfit (10%) at informal PEB on June 10 and elected to seek formal PEB consideration which was, until my discharge today, scheduled for Sept 22. But when I requested to be heard at formal PEB, my command blocked my request (as regulations appear to allow) and instead sent me to AdSep board on Aug 8.

My doctors were not allowed to testify about my medical conditions and I was denied civilian counsel at my board.

I received zero severence pay and/or separations pay and received a general (under honorable conditions) discharge.

I have 22 diagnoses in all, most related to Mefloquine toxicity (Malaria pills), vestibular disorder, cognitive impairment, major depression, etc.

Hope you do better than I.

202heatherb

still waiting!

I was doing reserch and found AFI 36-3212 5.4.7 that states that the two seperations run together if the ad sep was pending when the MEB was initiated. In my case the MEB/peb was done(9 Sep) before they notified me of ad/sep(15 Sep). Can they still do this? Is this something I can use as justification for formal change if the recomendation from the sec/AF if is the ad/sep? I'm just trying to brace my self for the worst! Any advice would be a great help! Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">