• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MEC, life insurance.. money, etc.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Champdee

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi I got a letter in the mail stating that I need to make a decision or my policy will become a MEC. (Modified Endowment Contract) I don't want it to become this.. Is it possible for me to get my cash value while not letting this become a MEC.. Will it be taxed to hell if I take 6,000 out of 16,70.00? Can I even do this?!

Sorry for my lack of knowledge about this.. all I know is I don't want it to become a MEC and I need some money for stuff and would rather not take a load or barrow so to speak. It's depressing because when I was ten (1993) the person who set this up told my parents it would make almost a million dollars.. and now this MEC thing comes and I'm trying to research about the matter and it seems like if I took out any or a certain about (not sure) it might not even be worth it. Sorry for being so tax illiterate. If any more information is needed let me know.

Champdee

Can you take out money from an insurance plan like this? Atleast a small amount where it they wont tax you forever so to speak?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">