• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mechanic makes a small repair and creates a BIG problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrpierce

I went in to get heater fixed in my car. I get a call saying a power steering hose is leaking should probably get new 300 plus labor 540 total. While fixing he breaks another hose costing 200 says no labor . When i picked up the car he says 240. I drive 2 miles and the steering is bad i return it. Says its a o ring no charge . I drive away and in 1 mile its leaking and making noise. I return it and after 2 days he says i need a new pump. After i spent 800. My steering was great until they stared making repairs. No i dont have reciets yes i paid cash. NO i dont have a dad with answers. I will take advice

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
My experience is that when one hose goes, the others are also ready to go, if all the hoses are about the same age.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Was this a real garage or a franchise wallet flushing operation that had tire in the title.
Now, now, there was one place in that franchise that I had particularly good experiences at.

1) When I too my car in for a second opinion on a brake job that was suggested by the dealership, they were honest and told me there was nothing wrong with my brakes and did not charge me.

2) When my serpentine belt went less than a block from there 5 minutes before closing - on a Saturday no less, they took me in and changed it immediately for barely $100.

3) When I had a repair that they couldn't handle (computer problem), the diagnosed it quickly and referred me to a dealership.

That said, mrpierce should have spent more of the day focusing on getting to court.

Now, now, there was one place in that franchise that I had particularly good experiences at.

1) When I too my car in for a second opinion on a brake job that was suggested by the dealership, they were honest and told me there was nothing wrong with my brakes and did not charge me.

2) When my serpentine belt went less than a block from there 5 minutes before closing - on a Saturday no less, they took me in and changed it immediately for barely $100.

3) When I had a repair that they couldn't handle (computer problem), the diagnosed it quickly and referred me to a dealership.

That said, mrpierce should have spent more of the day focusing on getting to court.
You were very lucky.
I worked at far too many places where 'upsell' was the mantra.
As a side note, did you know that other than Michigan no other States require auto mechanics to pass even the most basic of competency tests or be licensed.
The brakes on a $60,000 car can legally be 'repaired' by someone who only yesterday was asking "Do you want fries with that?"
Scary.

Last edited:

mrpierce

I wonder how his court hearing went.
Good morning
I had to rent a car...........I texted the p.d. and asked to please know if i didnt have to go its a 2.5 hour drive and there is a snowstorm happening . About an hour in on the drive i get a phone call from p.d. ...oh hey buddy how you doin omg!! So anyway were talking he says 90 days is what the d.a. offers. I said even with a prescription from dr. ?And i was letting my dog pee not out looking to rob a hardware store(the tresspass).Well then he says you dont have to come today.Ill talk to d.a. and get ya a fine. Please email dr scripts. I went and returned rental car 70.00 later...
Now what todo about my car. Im thinking take it to another garage see if they can prove it was somehow incompetence. If so civil court if not well its just another 550 to 800 bucks i get to shell out so someone can eat mc.donalds. oh no a name now what 100 dollar fine lol have a green day

mrpierce

man your comments dont even make sense and going to court wasnt the problem cee.. you have a great day buddy thank you so much

quincy

Good morning
I had to rent a car...........I texted the p.d. and asked to please know if i didnt have to go its a 2.5 hour drive and there is a snowstorm happening . About an hour in on the drive i get a phone call from p.d. ...oh hey buddy how you doin omg!! So anyway were talking he says 90 days is what the d.a. offers. I said even with a prescription from dr. ?And i was letting my dog pee not out looking to rob a hardware store(the tresspass).Well then he says you dont have to come today.Ill talk to d.a. and get ya a fine. Please email dr scripts. I went and returned rental car 70.00 later...
Now what todo about my car. Im thinking take it to another garage see if they can prove it was somehow incompetence. If so civil court if not well its just another 550 to 800 bucks i get to shell out so someone can eat mc.donalds. oh no a name now what 100 dollar fine lol have a green day
How old is your car, mrpierce?

Red's comments didn't deserve your response, by the way. Red was defending a well-known franchise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">