• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic refusing to finish work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keeperofthecode

What is the name of your state? Texas

I took my truck to a painter that said he would paint my truck for $1800 and required half down and half at completion of truck being painted and it would take 1.5-2 weeks. Two months later he says my truck is ready and when I go see it there is paint scraped completely off of the truck on one side and paint runs all over the truck. He tells me he will fix everything and text me when finished. Two days later he texts me that he is over budget and and cannot finish my truck for two months. he states he needs me to pickup truck and pay the other $900 and bring back truck in two months for him to finish. I told him a deal is a deal and he has to finish it before I pay the rest of the money. He then says he is going to put a lien on my truck then because I'm refusing to pay. Now he refuses to finish my truck and will not give my truck back. What can I do in this situation?

quincy

Do you have a written agreement? Do you have a receipt for the amount you already paid?

quincy

I suggest you pick up your truck (accompanied by police if necessary) and file a lawsuit against the painter for breach of contract and return of the $900 already paid.

I hope you have photos of your truck's condition before you took it to the painter. You should take photos of the truck as it is now.

keeperofthecode

I called the police department the day he first started disputing with me over the agreement and they said it was a civil matter and I should contact a Justice of the Peace. Is there something I can say to them that will make them take me to retrieve my property?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">